Lily Lovers.... Part 3

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Whew, Thanks Inanda! Yours are so lovely!! Is that a Lollipop at the end of the row?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

After bunnies & 2 hard freezes, I don't plan to see too many lilies bloom this year. :( At least I can enjoy all your pics...

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

'First Lady'

Thumbnail by mgh
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Boy Mendy that coloring sure looks like my unknown lily. Are there any spots on this one? Even just a few?

That's what I thought when it first opened too, Brenda. I even came rushing in the house to compare the photos! LOL But I thought the centers were too different to be the same flower. The polen things (don't know what they're called) are a different color than yours and the center is a darker color than the petals. It does have a few little spots in it, but they look like pollen spots, they aren't in the petals, but on top of them. Is that what you mean? Here's another photo of it from today. The other one was taken when it first opened.

Thumbnail by mgh
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm so excited! My first lily opened today. It is a bright pink Asiatic given to me by a co-worker. Name unknown (the lily's, not the co-worker's). I call it Rusti's Pink. The tips are a lighter pink. Not as white as the photo looks. It is not completely open yet, but sure is trying.

Susan

This message was edited May 31, 2005 7:04 PM

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Rusti's Pink is one of the strongest growing lilies I have. It is just loaded with buds and has very big, thick stems.

Susan

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Oh, that is a nice one!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here's a better photo of the hot pink lily I am trying to ID. Looking at the plantfiles, I wonder if it might be Shiraz? Does anyone grow that one? What stands out about this one is that everything on it is big for an Asiatic. Big stems. Big buds. Big leaves. 6" plus blooms. It's my first lily of the year to bloom, so I would say an early bloomer. About 42" in it's third year. Was a little shorter the first 2 years. Do that sound like Shiraz to anyone? It has a few light spots in it's throat, but they are not too noticable. Tips of petals are a lighter pink than the rest.

Susan

This message was edited Jun 2, 2005 9:06 AM

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Susan - I just checked the lily registry and Shiraz is registered as a ~43 inch tall asiatic with ~7-1/2 inch blooms. It does say that the tip are "slightly recurved" and that leaves alternate. Also states "few or very few spots" and that pollen is orange-yellow.
http://www.prideon.com/registry/s/sPage220.html

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Here's a good photo of Shiraz

http://www.lilynook.mb.ca/images/Asiatics/Shiraz.jpg

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks Brenda, I do think that could be it. Shiraz is the only one I can find of that height that looks like it to me.

Susan

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Stopped over at the old place and had these blooming...........

White Lace
This is a rather small plant at only about 18" tall, but should reach 4 feet. I think this is one of the last ones I planted last fall. Now to get it dug up and transplanted. I love it!!

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

A bit out of focus but I love this shade of yellow.

Early Yellow (and it is definitely one of the first to bloom this year)

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

One of my favorites.......

Loreto

Thumbnail by langbr
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

geez......I have one bud that I've expected to open for 4 days now. Good grief, what's it's gonna take??

Nice to see other people are getting started though.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Quadruple RATS. Really thought Brendas lily was finally IDed. Oh well.

Your white lace looks fairly like Rosepoint Lace. Bet it is a sib. or at least a near relative.

So many of my lilies are turning yellow. Time to break out the chelated iron and epsom salts methinks.

We had 2 tornados in Southern Manitoba last night. Only damaged sheds etc. thank goodness. Very rare to have them up here.

inanda - busily naming iris.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

No kiddin? We've had none at all around here.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Ahhhhhh....you can't get anything past Inanda! Quoted from The Lily Garden website where I got WHITE LACE........

Quoting:
‘White Lace’ is the strongest clone from our Rosepoint Lace strain, bred from L. lankongense.

Hey don't say the "T" word.....don't forget I'm in Dorothy's homeland. LOL

"There's no place like home....there's no place like home.....there's no place like home!"

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Rosepoint Lace was my first thought too when I saw that pretty one - sure looks a lot like mine! Looks like the background is white and the RL had a creamy background last year. There's buds on them so I'm getting anxious to see blooms!!!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

This person hates going to US suppier websites. Just gets me too upset. Phyto plus exchange + !@#$ Canada Customs. Too time consuming to do a co-op or group order.

What we do up here is to give the Lily Nook a list of our 'must haves' and then buy them from him.

Incidentally, So called Triumphator has just bloomed. White and pale pale pink. Def. not Triumphator. Serves us right I guess as it came in a bag from Costco. Oh well. Costco must have been buying bulk rejects by the pound from dutch hybridizers. It has been potted up inside since being purchased. That is why it is blooming already.

Raining again so no chelated iron to day to green up the yellow lilies.
Inanda

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Moby said.....

Quoting:
geez......I have one bud that I've expected to open for 4 days now. Good grief, what's it's gonna take??

Maybe you should go out of town for a few days....you know the old "watched pot never boils" syndrome applies to flowers too. lol

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yeah...figures. It's thinking about opening today, but just the tips.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

My first Lollypop opened yesterday and it was a poly. Smaller than normal, but cute..

Susan

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

This one's always my first to bloom. It's a newer LA Hybrid called 'Victoria Falls'. It has tons of flowers, and the color really pops in the garden. It's seen here blooming among my California Lilac bushes (ceanothus):

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Victoria Falls is a pretty one. I think I may have seen it blooming in someone's garden yesterday and wondered who it was. Are the blooms mostly upward facing? Here is a photo of the one I think may be Shiraz. It is doing great for being crowded into a little V-shaped corner of a bed.

Susan

This message was edited Jun 5, 2005 10:38 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is one I have labeled Marseille, but it does not match the photos of that one at all. It looks somewhat like the one I think is Shiraz above, but is much shorter. Of course this is it's first year and the other one is maybe 4 years old. Will have to see if it get bigger as it gets older. Any other ideas about which one it is?

Susan

This message was edited Jun 5, 2005 2:47 PM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

lincolnitess~

Yes (on Victoria Falls), all of the blooms are upwards facing.

How 'bout a fresh thread....

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/517857/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.