Suggestions for privacy screen around 8 ft tall?

San Jose, CA

I'm looking for ideas for attractive privacy screening along our fenceline. Must like partial shade (under oak trees) and be happy in Zone 9. Also, it must not need a ton of water and can't exceed 8-10 feet.

Any ideas? I saw some fern pines in a book that looked attractive, but found out that their ultimate height can be tremendous. I already have to much shade, so I don't want any towering giants.

Thanks for your help.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Lilystorm, is you property north, south, east or west of the fence? Will the hedge get morning or afternoon sun? Will it be outside the oak trees' canopy or under it? Do you want a free standing hedge or will trellised hedges work? And lastly, what kind of oak trees do you have?

The zones designation by Sunset's Western Garden Book are more useful than the USDA's Plant Hardiness zones. San Jose is in 3 zones. The difference between the zones depends on its exposure to the winds blowing in from the Bay. It may make a difference for some plants. When we lived in San Jose, we were able to grow some frost tender plants because we lived on the eastern foothills. During the winter,they receive more light and heat than the western foothills and the cold air slides down into the valley.

Valley live oaks are used to getting all their rain between November and early May and will go into a decline or die if watered year round even indirectly.

UC Cooperative Extension Service has an office in San Jose and many experienced Master Gardeners to help. They also have access, through the county agent, to UC horticultural expertise if they can't answer you questions. Santa Clara has one of the oldest Master Gardeners programs in California.

BettyDee

San Jose, CA

The property is north of the fence and will get mainly morning sun, with dappled to moderate shade after that. The oak trees are coastal live oaks. You are right that they are supposed to get only winter rain. The plants would be at the fringes of the drip line, so I'm hoping to grow some plants that need moderate water throughout the year.

We get only occasional frosts, so I'm not too worried about hardiness.

Thanks for reminding me about the master gardeners. I'll have to try that.

I was hoping to get some suggestions here with maybe some pictures, or pointers to the Dave's garden plant files.

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

You might look at clumping forms of bamboo. I am sure there are some which like the conditions you offer and grow to about 8'-10' high. And, being clumpbers, they won't try to take over your property. If you are interested, you might check out Tradewinds Bamboo at www.bamboodirect.com. They not only have umpteen types of bamboo, you can get a pretty good education on bamboo from their site. Good luck at finding the perfect solution. Dotti

Nowra, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi Lilystorm,

my favourite for this sort of spot i Sacred bamboo, not a real Bamboo but forms neat clumps to about 6-8 feet tall.(Nandina domestica)
Actually related to Berberis, it is pretty hardy, with many tall stems clothed in divided dark green leaves that will hold some color red/purple in Winter. Sprays of small white flowers Spr-Summer will be followed by berries in Fall and Winter.
A real good plant that should love your situation.
I'll try to add an image, or have a look at Plant Files.
A similar plant that is slower growing but spectacular is Mahonia or Oregon Grape.
Very showy yellow flowers in Winter, blue/black berries after
Ps photo is Nandina in background, Salvia Tequila in front
Luck to you
Gary

Thumbnail by garygardener

Pampass grass would make a nice 8-10' tall screen and take little water once established.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Camelia's?? Flowering trees that can form a hedge, long lived and evergreen, not too tall... ?

Sweet tea Olive??

Susan

San Jose, CA

I do love camellias! Keep the suggestions coming. I'm soaking all this in while I wait for the rest of the landscaping to be done.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.