Spring comes late to Farndale

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Spring has arrived in the Tees Valley. In the farm fields spring lambs gambol and skip. In the woods the snowdrops have given way to masses of bright, bold daffodils. Celandines are in flower and the first nodding heads of the wood anemones have poked through and gradually unfurl.

So I had high hopes for Farndale, my little piece of heaven on earth. Yesterday the Moorsbus service started - about 10 days earlier than normal because of the early Easter. I got off at Hutton-le-Hole and drank a leisurely pot of tea as I looked out over the green. It wasn't quite the best of days - a mist shrouded the hilltops and it was overcast. But at least it was dry and good for walking.

Eventually I headed for the Daffodil Shuttle - the minibus that ferries all the daffodil enthusiasts during the daffodil season. The mini-bus was full - those at the end of the queue had to wait till the next one, a quarter of an hour later. The car park was full to bursting point. In the seats behind me I could hear a mother talking to her children. It was a small family - parents and a small boy and girl. The mother (she sounded like a teacher) earnestly pointed out sheep, and heather and bracken, and "over there's a pheasant". Perhaps they weren't familiar with the countryside. I felt sorry for the poor little mites - they were quite obviously being "educated". As usual I was excited to see the now-familiar hills of Farndale on either side of me. The mist covered their tops and the colours were the softest of pastels.

At Low Mill I stepped out and sniffed the air. Ah! Good to be back. I set off determinedly through the small wooden gate that leads to the start of the River Dove. Along by the river I looked round for the daffies. Where were they? Around me, hikers looked round in similar bemusement. We were a few days too early. Spring comes late here up on the North York Moors. The upland areas have heavy snow, and the lack of shelter probably means biting winds. Along the riverside several fallen trees testified to a harsh winter. There WERE daffies in bloom, but few in number. Most were still to come, their green leaves not even in bud yet. Round me hikers were murmering, "Fine day! But where are the daffies? Oh no, we're too early! I'll just have to return in a fortnight or so." It was a shame - most people just looked on sadly and vowed to return.

Eventually I caught up with the family from the minibus. They were sat on the one and only bench while the mother unwrapped their picnic. The little boy now caused a diversion - he had got stuck up a tree. Only a couple of feet up though! Dad soon gave him a hand down. I stopped to talk to them for a few minutes. As I suspected they were not local but up here on holiday - the parents seemed to have a full week of acivities (mostly educational and avoiding arcades etc) lined up. I suggested a day trip to Whitby and a ride on the steam engine from Pickering.

I was sad that there so few daffodils, but vowed to return a litte later. There was plenty to enjoy though. A few bunches of snowdrops still gleamed white through the grasses. And at eye-height bunches of lambs-tails shook in the breeze. The real lambs were themselves still non-existent. Even the hardy black-faced Swaledales postpone their lambing till the spring warmth has come.

I walked on and finally reached Church Houses, where I enjoyed a slow lunch at the Feversham Arms. It was packed! This is an old and atmospheric pub with beams and horse brasses and views down the dale. Wonderful! I treated myself to a glass of wine with my meal.

Eventually I waddled back down the path by the River Dove. It was colder now and even mistier. Still enjoyable though. I enjoyed the sounds of the country - farm animals and moorland birds. A pheasant screeched and far away I could hear a curlew.

Eventually I reached Low Mills again and hopped on board the minibus for the return to Hutton-le-Hole. I still had some time to spare so I picked up another bus at Hutton-le-Hole and headed for Pickering. I browsed happily round an aniquarian bookstore till it was time
to go home.

Here's to the next outing to Farndale!!!

And here's a link to a website created by a local walker:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/don.burluraux/040303.htm

This message was edited Mar 21, 2005 2:18 PM

This message was edited Mar 21, 2005 2:25 PM

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Hi Northerner, it's me again. I love to read your posts about daily life in "jolly old England". Your moor jaunt sounds very nice, even though most of the daffodills were still in bud. The pub lunch must have been delicious. There is nothing like that around here but I wish there were. I would love to lunch in an old time cosy pub with burnished woodwork and a fire in the grate. No doubt I am living in a fantasy but it's harmless. Not much but fast food in my town and a few substandard restaurants and no alcohol anywhere in the county.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi, I am so happy it is time for the trip to Farndale again. that website you posted is just wonderful and it was exciting to see the picture of the pub where you had your lunch.
You really covered quite a bit of ground on that jaunt for a day trip! It was fascinating reading. I will copy this jaunt and add it to your previous trips. Every so often I take them out a re read them. You are a marvelous writer , every thing you write is so descriptive and I enjoy reading these trips so much. Thanks for posting them.

I'm glad you both enjoyed them. I hope to make another trip to Fanrdale when the daffodils are fully out.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Northerner--love to read your Farndale daffodil stories and I love the pictures on the link you posted too. What a beautiful spring trail for walkers. And the hamlet pics--the pub looks really cozy! Makes me want to make a spring holiday trip over there--

Do you know--is there one kind of daffodil they feature in the preserve, or do they plant a variety of narcissi?

Hope you post again when you make your next visit. Thanks. t.

Hello tabasco! I'm glad you enjoyed my posting.

There's only one variety of daffodil here, and it's not "planted". It's a wild daffodil that is native to the UK.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

wonderful i have been blessed with one his books, would like more but.. love the link.

Hello Hope43! Writers talking about the area - the best are James Herriot ("All Creatures Great and Small") and Gervaise Phinn, though Gerviase Phinnis really writing more about the Yorkshire Dales.

I had another trip back to Farndale at the end of April, the daffies were still in bloom then. I should have written it up as it was a gorgeous, bright, sunny day and my best day out so far this year.

Trips have been set aside for a few weeks as I'm studying at college again, busy doing loads of assignments at the moment.

Glad you enjoyed the posting!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hello,

I think a number of us have been enjoying it, and the extra link as well. You're a very evocative storyteller. Thank you so much!

Shannon

You're welcome!

I'm considering taking a day out at the weekend again seeing as it's a Bank Holiday. Our spring weather has been miserable, lots of cloud and rain. But it looks like Saturday will be fine. Not a Moorsbus day, unfortunately, but plenty of other places to go to. Whitby maybe, or Scarborough? A day at the seaside!!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Our spring weather has been cloudy, cool and rainy as well. If you were to take the forecast below, subtract 5 degrees from the high each day and remove "chance of" in front of showers, that will probably be what our coming week will be like.

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/city/pages/on-118_metric_e.html

Even the word "seaside" evokes Britain to me. Noone here says it. Sigh...
Hope you have a great long weekend!

Shannon

Thank you Shannon!

We may have cloud and showers after all! Looks like the sunny day I was hoping for will be in the south of the country. It should still be okay for a day out though, with anorak. Seaside would be all right - both Whitby and Scarborough have plenty to do - lots of little tearooms too. Whitby crab for lunch - mmmm!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

oh i did enjoy very much.. his one book i have i read over again. he is great author...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.