Can Someone Help Me With My Norfolk Island Pines?

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

I put a similar question in house plants and no one answered.

Where I live NIP have to be indoors as a houseplant. I have had one over 10 years and it has always been healthy until the past few months. I have done nothing different to it.

It is about 6 feet tall and has been losing its inner (leaves?) (needles?) off most of the branches from the dirt up. The last five to six inches of needles are seeming healthy although not showing a great deal of growth. These are on the very outside end of the branches

There doesn't seem to be any insect problems on it or anything near it. It is planted in a 20 gallon planter and has been for probably four or five years. It isn't showing any signs of root-bound.

Is it heading for the compost pile or garbage or is there someway to bring it back?

Any and all help would really be appreciated. TIA
Bell

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Some years ago I had the same problem. My NIP was beautiful for several years, then started declining - first the needles then the lower branches died and dropped off. I didn't find any help at all. It was so pitiful looking that I finally had to dispose of it. I wish I had tried to repot it just to give fresh soil. Some references say that the condition results from age and dehydration. Others caution about too much water. Here are three references that I found but there are some contradictions among them. (If you could keep it growing for many years, though, it would get too big for the house.) Sorry I can't give you a really good answer. Yuska

http://tinyurl.com/4d6gw
http://tinyurl.com/5d894
http://tinyurl.com/6m6do

Brisbane, Australia

Hi there!
The NIP your both growing are essentialy outdoor trees.
I realize you are aware of this, but we all need reminding sometimes. :)
As you are now aproaching you summer season over there, I would suggest you place the trees outside in a sheltered position so it can recover from being inside for such a long time.
They are very drought resistant, but also respond to good deep watering, which is what they would be getting if in their natural habitat.They detest sitting in saucers.
Try re-potting into some fresh potting mix and leaving it outside for about a month or two.Apply a slow release fertilizer when re-potted.
Hose down ALL foliage occasionaly to remove any built up debris from the home....ie: Dust, cooking oils etc ,etc
The lack of sunlight for such a long time on the fronds does have its effects after a prolonged period indoors.The tree simply "runs out of steam", due to its inability to produce chlorophyl , which then turns into a food source.
The sun is the best way for the plant to obtain this.
You'd be surprised at how much cold it can withstand. I have an aquaintance who has one growing in his garden in Tasmania. He brings it in about mid June (Winter) although the temps drop considerably from about March down there.
I respect that you are both great gardeners and probably know all of the above, hope it helps though.
Let me know, take care
Noel

PS: NIP's are very prone to getting mealybug within the fronds when kept indoors for long periods, which may also cause defoliation and lack of vigour. Check to see if you have them.Spray an insecticide that is reccomended for that over there. We use "Confidor".

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

Thank you both for your help.

Hi there to you, Noel.

I will try to move this big fella outdoors when it warms up some more. I think it will take a crew to do it. It lives in a large sun room with a glass roof as well. The roof is fourteen feet high so It will be a while before the tree out grows it.

I think lack of sun is not the problem but do think a really good shower to clean it is in order. I did check it for mealy bugs and there are no pests that I can see of any kind.

If I can't help this lovely, but now a bit funny looking tree, then I will know I have done my best and start anew with another. They are too nice not to have one in my home. I actually have a three foot group started...

Thanks again both of you.

Bell

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, thank you very much, Noel. I don't currently have one of those lovely treasures, but have added your advice to my planning notebook. Bell is right that enjoying them is very satisfying. Yuska

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.