What does this need?

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

This is a stephanotis that I bought at the show
I have another one that I started from seed but no blooms yet
can't wait for these to open!!!!

what does it need?
Should I repot or wait till it is done blooming?

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

CC.....I just read something today regarding this plant and its care and what you need to do to get it to bloom. It is here on DG's somewhere. Maybe in tropicals.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That's a nice one Karyn. Mine needs help really bad. I read the same thing Frannie read. I believe they require bloom booster fertilizer, but don't quote me on that one. I am going to go give mine a dose of it now though. Full sun also.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I have mine in the ground, full sun.(sorry CC, just had to say that)

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Rub that right in Susie!
I couldn't put it in the ground anyhow
I can't SEE the ground

I can't wait for those blooms to open!!!!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

It looks great CC! Keep us posted on the smell! I heard they smell great! Looks like you picked up some really nice things at the show!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Well is out of the GH and in the house
When I got home yesterday it was all wilted
Soaked it and its in the livingroom,southern exposure
scared to repot with the buds

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

What happened? Mine does dry out easily. I think it needs to be repotted.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine is in an awful small pot
do you think I'd ruin it by repotting?

Shirley,did you ever have any luck rooting yours?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I never could get anything to root, Karyn. I tried several methods, even wet towels in a plastic bag, but couldn't get it done. I think seed is the way to go. Maybe if you tried to pollinate them you could get some pods. You won't ruin it by repotting it. In fact, I'd say it needs it. Just pull it from one pot and put into another. I wouldn't pull the roots apart much.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I wonder if the "bubble " method would work.....
wonder if you use green or wood
wonder WHY I'm even thinking about it
I am root challenged......

The first time I saw this plant, it was in a greenhouse growing up one end and across the span of a 150' greenhouse. He grew cut flowers and used this for weddings. I begged a few pieces from him and rooted them in perlite under lights on a heat mat.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

OK
I will try it
were they green or woody?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Good, I'm going to take a few snips. Thanks Susie.

It was hardwood. Best I can remember, it took a while to root too.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I've rooted Stephanotis successfully in the "bubble method"...a mist house is really ideal! Grow them similarly to Hoyas...root bound, in the sun, roots in the shade...Bloom Booster is ideal...or a 5-60-5 mix.

HTH

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info,is it OK to fertilize during blooming?

Some of the buds opened and it smells SOOOOO good
I keep getting up and going over to it
I'll probably ruin the blooms from sniffing them so much!

gotta root it
I want MORE of them!

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

I grow mine in the ground too, so I can't help much as far as in pot growing. I can say this--here in San Diego, it is a very easy vine to grow. I have to pull mine out of some of the trees it grows near in the summer but otherwise it is a no maintenance vine. I have it on the north side of my fence along the property line. Basically it grows to the top in a stringy way and then gets fuller along the top of the fence. Mine won't be looming for another two or three months but the blooms last a long time. As someone said, its related to Hoyas but likes a bit more sun. They are originally from Madagascar. I'm not sure how they push a plant like yours to make it bloom early. It's very lovely though.

-Ron-

Calistoga, CA

From the size of the pot I would guess that it is completely full of roots and would dry out so fast it would be difficult to prevent wilting. Al

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

You could try soaking it for a couple of hours....and a shower (like raining on it). When they bloom they love lots of water. And....I think I would wait until it finished blooming to repot it...

Gee, your plant looks really healthy, CC.

Carol

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Its been doing much better in the house than in the gh
It does get really warm in there when the sun comes out
Plus I can smell it more often...LOL
When it wilted I soaked it real well
and it hasn't dried out since then

I'm thinking I'll wait till its done blooming to repot

Thanks everyone for all your help with it!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.