please tell me what this is

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I don't have a camera so I hope someone can tell me what this glorious vine is from my description.I went to Charleston SC. yesterday and there was a vine blooming in many gardens.It has huge white flowers,smells wonderfully and has elongated leaves.I know there are some members of DG from Charleston.Please let me know what this is.I would love to grow it here.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Could your vine be: white sky vine aka Thunbergia grandiflora: 'Alba'?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hmm, I don't think the T. alba is fragrant though, is it Kay? Mine has not bloomed yet so I am not certain.
Maybe a clematis? Clematis Armandii has elongated leaves. is fragrant & could be blooming now, but the flowers are not that huge. Here is a pic:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/vines/clematis_armandii.html

Good morning
Clematis Armandi looks similar but The vine I saw had much bigger flowers.It was blooming all over the Historic district of Charleston.You can smell it in the air.Wonderful.Gardeners in Charleston developed many plants years ago.These vines could all be offspring of one collected plant from who knows where.Anyone from Charleston out there?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i know they grow wisterias and alzelieas like crazy down thre at this time of year. rhodendrons too. thats the only ones i know they bloom in mass down there .

maybe a mandivilla ??

you could always write the visitors website for info.

I was thinking maybe Jessamine or Jasmine.

I also grow all of the above suggestions.The only one that is close is the clematis armandi.I think that it is probably just a variation of it.The leaves look the same it just has much bigger flowers.Thank you for the suggestions.

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

I work in Charleston's historic district. Do you remember where you saw the vine? I'll check it out.

It is Clematis Armandi.I found someone from Charleston on the daylily forum and another gardener from Texas who has the vine and they told me that it is blooming now.It seemed to me that the flowers were much larger.Everything is so lush in Charleston that it could be that these flowers grow larger there.
Alteredstate,If you walk towards the Battery You will find many gardens with this vine and the sent is very strong.It is worth the walk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.