Journal

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

It's probably been asked before... but I couldn't find it in the search.

I try to use my journal but it doesn't seem to work out.

I click on Manage your own journal and it brings me to step 3 every time. Why?

I'd like to be able to delete catagories since I've never been able to manage them correctly, how can I do this?

I apologize again if the answers are some where but I'm very bad at techinal stuff.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Michelle, there is a pretty new journal forum you might want to check out.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/journals/
I'm not sure about your question- Maybe someone there can answer it.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you. It didn't seem to help though. I wonder what I'm just not seeing.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

OK, what page are you on when you click "Manage your own journal?"

Does it say this:

Dave's Garden members can maintain their own garden journals, and view journals created by other members.

Manage your own journal
View other journals

?

If yes, then when you click on "Manage your own journal" does it say:

Welcome back to your "Default Journal" Journal, CaptMicha"

?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I click on the top gray tab: Journals

Then: the link Manage your own journal and I've also tried that Your Journal in the green border.

Both worked one and the same :(

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

So what page do you mean by "Step 3?" What's on it?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Step 3...
You now need to start your journal off by adding for first item. You do this by going to the category in which you want this item to be created. When you have selected your category, then click on "Add a new item".

Select the category from the list below:

* Growing (0)
o Lonicera periclymenum (0)
* Orders-supply (0)
* Sowing (0)

Clicking on the catergories doesn't allow me the option of deleting.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

OK, well. Now I know for sure that I have no clue how to help you! Hopefully an expert will step in here!!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol. Maybe my journal is broked.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

CaptMicha - when you click on "Manage your own Journal" you should get a page and it will give you an option to "manage categorie (add/delete categories". That is what you need to click on if you want to delete a category you've set up. You should be aware that you can ONLY delete a category if there is nothing (no item and no sub-folders) in that category. If you have items or sub-folders it tells you that you normally would be able to delete from this screen but you have items in this category and that you need to move them elsewhere or delete them to be able to delete the category they are in.

Does that help?
Brenda

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

It won't let me delete catagories. I thought I could do it by adding a subcatergory, and it let me delete that but no the main catagories.

Okay, now I went back and the subcatergory is still there, undeleted... ?!!!!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Which of your categories are you trying to delete? "Growing"?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

All of them, I want to start over with a more organized approach.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

You've tried deleting the other categories besides "Growing"? Did it give you the page that says something like....."Are you sure you want to delete this category?" If so, I'd email Dave and ask him to take a look at it for you. Doesn't sound right if you're not getting to the confirmation page.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

There isn't even a delete page! I'm totally lost! Emailing him is a good idea, thanks!!!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Are you seeing this page when you first go to your Journal?

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

When you click on that link I marked you should see this.....

Thumbnail by langbr
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Nope, this is what I'm seeing.

First page:

Thumbnail by CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

After I click on manage your own journal:

Thumbnail by CaptMicha
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I think the problem is you have a sub-category under your "growing" category - which is why you can't delete it. Try deleting the sub-category first (click on it, then see if you have a delete button.)

Now it may be too that since this is your default journal, it won't let you completely delete it. If so, just pare it down to one category, and then you can add the categories you want, then go back to the one category you left intact, and remove it (if it doesn't work for your new journal)

Or once you get down to one category, then start a new journal...

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Terry - I don't think she's even getting the screen to be able to do the delete. In other words, she's NOT getting the first screen I posted above.

CaptMicha - try adding an item in one of your categories even if it's just a fictional one. When you get to screen 2 above (where it says Step 3) then click on the Growing category and add a perennial or annual or something. then once that is entered go back to your MainJournal page and see if you get the first screen I posted above. If so you should be able to delete categories (you'll have to delete ITEMS and SUBCATEGORIES under a category before you can delete the actual category).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images