Obtaining Photo Permissions

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Glad to see this forum! I'd like to see if anyone can share their sucess with major companies allowing their photos to be shown here. I have written quite a few companies asking for permission to use their pictures (giving them credit, or course) and really thought it would be a great free advertising tool for them. I have not gotten a single response, why would they not see this?

Doss, congrats to sucess with Schreiners, can you tell us how you were able to get permission? I've asked several members and only heard the 'we're friends' answer.

Are we allowed to say that we are a 'representative of DG' ? Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome. I'd really love to see just one place to get all my information--PlantFiles!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

violabird, I had a similar idea a couple years ago (admittedly, the then-PDB was a lot smaller than it is now.) Dave set up an FTP (file transfer protocol) in the event a vendor could do a mass "send" of many images.

I received very little positive response, except from Tennessee Iris Gardens, a local Iris vendor in nearby Mt. Juliet; you'll see Janice Frizzell's images in many of the TB listings.

I tried contacting other TN-based companies, including Lakeside Hostas (I thought the Chastains would be receptive since many of their images are in the Hosta Library, and it would be excellent free advertising for them.) Not even a reply, as best I recall.

My guess is Schreiners was receptive to doss because (a) she may be a longtime customer of theirs) and (b) they have a rep who always sends a thank-you when they get a new rating at the Watchdog, so they're aware of DG as a whole.

You might ask Paulwhwest how he was able to talk some of the rose growers (including David Austin) into permitting him to place their images, with credit, in PlantFiles.

We've also invited and encouraged our PlantScout vendors to submit images of plants they're selling, especially when none currently exists in the PlantFiles entry. It helps them and us, but many of them are in the throes of mailorder season right now, so I'm not surprised we haven't seen much activity on that front in a while.

My hope is that more of our DG members will visit public gardens, nurseries and garden centers this spring, with digi cams in hand. Don't be shy or embarassed - if you explain what you're doing, I daresay few nursery owners will mind you snapping pictures - especially if you tell them you'll add a caption saying where the picture was taken ;o)

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Terry, now I don't feel so bad, lol! I hope everyone will take the time to help us too. Am still hoping for some more suggestions ;>)

BTW, about us being a 'representative' of DG, would you rather we just say 'member'?

Irving (Dallas area), TX(Zone 8a)

I simply sent several vendors an email complementing their photos and asking if the use of their photos on PF would be permissible. Some said yes, some said no, some didn't answer, and The Antique Emporium had some questions, but finally said yes. Actually, I exchanged emails with Mike Shoup himself. :)

-Paul

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Paul, thanks so much for your reply. You've done such an incredible job for us, I will certainly try my luck in your style with compliments first ;>)

violabird, I think it's perfectly acceptable to say you are a:

a) subscriber of DG; or
b) subscribed member of DG or
c) member of DG; or
d) contributor to PlantFiles
e) PlantFiles volunteer

Any of those titles/descriptions (or something similar) would be appropriate and entirely truthful. (I'm afraid that holding yourself out as a representative is probably not a good idea, as it carries some "official-ness" that could be misconstrued. You are welcome to use me as a "reference" if they request a contact name within DG.)

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Terry, I feel much better now, you're right on top of things as usual :) While I'm writing, I do intend to mention PlantScout as well and give the link, adding your name as a contact would be helpful...but I can't remember your last name, lol.

Lea. Yep - Terry Lea. And when said with a southern drawl, it sure does sound like I need a last name *grin*

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

I knew I saw this someplace. Headed to bed but, if I don't post now I will forget about it.

Quoting:
Dave set up an FTP (file transfer protocol) in the event a vendor could do a mass "send" of many images.

Is this something you can still do Dave? I have contacted some vendors, haven't heard back anything yet but I really think I will. Just wanted to know the best way to go about it.

I do have FTP running on the server, and if any company wants to FTP in the images, they just need to contact me and I'll give them what they need to know.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

ArGGGG. I just hit the wrong button and lost this.

I'm sorry I missed this discussion. It wasn't Schreiner's that I asked but Cooley's. Terry's right, I have been a customer. You will have better luck if you call Schreiner's and get their customer support person. They are terriffic on the phone.

Be sure to state early in any message that you are not doing this for profit and discuss the educational nature and purpose of DG. Also make sure to tell them what the credit will look like. You don't want to leave to much to the imagination. What can I say,it's a sales job. Once Cooley's heard that, they were really generous and even asked me what format I needed.

I have received permission to put photos from Nola's Iris Garden on DG. Anyone who would like to help me is welcome. I do tend to make relationships with the vendors if at all possible. Gary Prevost is getting himself off the ground and is looking forward to the opportunity.

One other place you might want to try is BlueJ Iris. The photos look good but you can't blow them up so you'd have to figure that out. If someone wants to do this let me know and I'll ask them. Or you can ask them and say I suggested it. I asked about one Iris they had without a description and they scanned a photo from a magazine and sent it to me. They are really nice people.

Also they have a link to DG that is on their alpha list so they are aware of us. And it would be to their advantage to have their photos blown up. They have an unusual thing they do where they post two photos of some Iris. It's remarkable how different the photos can be. Some of them appear to be copyrighted.

I'd be willing to help with any Iris grower I've ordered from. I've often wondered if Superstition would let us use their images. They take great photos - and I already placed a big order with them this year. :-) Now that would be a project!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I have always had good luck when asking folks to use their photos... with the exception of one person... they said that they didn't feel Dave's was "an appropriate place" for their photos....... LMBO.... if a Garden site isn't appropriate for photos of flowers, I don't know what is!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images