Hope for Lactose Intolerant People

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I've conducted some research.... if that's what you could call this.

My theory is that lactose intolerance stems from an individual, take the carnivorous wolf, imbibing in lactose as an infant. As they mature, they are weaned and lose the ability to digest said lactose. If they consume it after having lost that ability, they will be ill because they are unable to cope with that substance.

But.... what if they taught their system to digest it again?!

Here's my research:

I'm lactose intolerant, or I used to be.

When I was younger I used to suffer from extremely bad stomach aches that prevented me from things and I never knew why I suffered them.

It carried on for so long and was so bad that my parents tried to make me see a .... what the deuce do you call them... gastro- something doctors but there was no way I was going for that!

I don't recall but one day something made me consider whether I was lactose intolerant and sure enough, I stopped consuming lactose and my stomach troubles were gone.

That was great but ever notice that when you can't have something, everything you want has it in it? Ice cream, dishes, etc. The lactose meds didn't help me at all. I know it sounds stupid but I kept forgetting about the can't eat milk products things and that was no fun. Other times I used the meds and ate something and still got sick.

Recently, I've began weaning lactose back into my diet (without the medicine). Little things like cheese, a tiny bit of milk, etc. NOTHING with heavy and concetrated amounts. And I can eat them with out getting sick!

I keep doing this and ever so slowly increase the amount of lactose, I can now eat and drink things with out getting sick. I'm still not up to cream sauces and a big glass of milk but even if I can't ever do that, this is a LOT better than it used to be!

So... there's hope for use lactose people yet!

(I don't recommend trying this without consulting a doctor or if you are extremely and violenty affected by lactose consumption. I don't take responsibility for any one's actions besides my own.)

This message was edited Mar 18, 2005 1:34 PM

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!