Compost Manure odor-Peat Moss

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I have had some comments about my mixture for the grow bags----people wondering if my mixture of commercial compost manure and peat moss will make my greenhouse stink like manure. No it doesnt. Peat moss acts like an odor eater. Some how Peat moss obsorbs and isolates the manure odor. You never smell the manure.

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Manure that is properly composted doesn't stink in the first place. If it does, then you have some that is not processed right and will likely burn roots. Jessamine

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

its the compost manure that you buy at walmart and it has stunk for at least 10 years that i have been buying it.

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Sometimes you get what you pay for. Why are you still buying it? I'd rather pay the $3 for the 3x larger bag of Scotts or one of the other brands that I can trust not to burn although to stay honest, a few years ago Consumers Report did a report on just how much manure was in some of those bags and there wasn't much. Jessamine

This message was edited Mar 18, 2005 12:13 AM

Spokane, WA

ok, i gots a question..

how come you guys don't get the real deal?

fresh manure w/straw is way better than anything bought in some bag.

???

Arod

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

i can get fresh manure----but since im growing tomatoes for the public--I wanted something that was past by Ag already. so i bought it already composted.

i really dont have time or want to get in a debate on whos compost is better. I just wanted some people to know that peat moss obsorbs odor.

Spokane, WA

hiya Cricket...

not tryin to start a debate... lol... my dad was an avid gardner and had one most of his life. he always had a dumptruck load of the fresh stuff delivered each spring.

as for 'something that was passed by Ag'... well, from my perspective, as a home grower not a commercial one, that thought didn't and won't ever come into play as to what i use on my garden here.

ps... i follow your thread on your greenhouse with much interest. you are quite the grower... :)

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

that debate wasnt meant for you SO1-----it was for jessamine saying my compost wasnt right cause it has an odor.

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

I'm sorry I offended you. It was not my intent. Manure that has a strong odor is still aging or anerobic activity is going on. You are correct that peat moss has a good odor aborbing quality but that doesn't mean the manure has been processed long enough to be safe or it has not been properly stored. Please check with your local Cooperative Extension. They will have well researched information about the use of manure. Badly processed manure can be hazardous to your health. I would hate for you to get an infection just because I didn't say something as nicely as I should have. Jessamine

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

If you are in Hawaii or some of the western states or Cal I believe you can buy EKO compost for $27 for 1 cubic foot. It is wonderful, no weeds at all. You could grow in it straight. I get mine at a farm/greenhouse supply place for $27 a yard with a 25 dollar bag deposit for the bulk bags return.

Drew

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.