Gro Mat Alternatvies am I crazy??

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

OK- I start all my seeds in the basement which is chilly- on a pair of shelves my DH built me behind my dryer. I want gro mats but the darn things are $$$. So I thought of a couple of alternatives please tell me if I'm nuts....

1. there are twin size electric blankets on clearance at WalMart for $15 with creative floding I could use one twin size blanket and heat all the shelves- would this work if I kept it on low?

2. would regualr heating pads you buy at Walmart work? they have these new ones you can even get wet for moist heat....

3. doing something craetive with the dryer vent with pvc to pump the warm air into the sleving unit (I cover the front of the whole thing with plastic to try to create a green house type effect.

Somebody please help- I am on my 3rd spring and am addicted.... LOL!!!!

Heather
Proud Mama of Wyatt and Rhiannon
Queen bee of the Banana tree (don't ask my kids made it up)

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi Heather, Queen Bee of the Banana Tree LOL. I am by no means an expert but I think your first 2 suggestions would work just fine (don't know about #3 though). I have read on other threads about using a heating pad and also an electric blanket (used on setting 4). I agree those heat mats are pricey. I am sure someone with a lot more expertise will come along and let you know.

Cindy

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

posted in your other post ..

Wouldnt trust a electric blanket , seen to many house fires becouse of them.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

there is a thread on how to build your own heat box. You can customize the size, use 2x4 or 2x6, porcelain fixutures, and 40 or 60 watt bulbs, then cover box with metal sheet (I used discarded metal shelves off a broken down unit) Do a search on "heat Boxes" and it should turn up, I think it was by user Paulgrow....

Here is the link...

http://www.profitableplants.com/index.htm

This message was edited Mar 17, 2005 6:22 PM

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

I use heating pads. The new vinyl ones that can get wet are great. Haven't had any problems germinating my plants. Works great.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Old water bed heaters are ok to. The light bulb heated box will work. The scavaged heat from the dryer will probably end up a mess hard to be consistent with that behemouth. and think of the lint your plants will have to contend with.

I use heat mats with thermostats and water bed heaters do have those before I had mats I started them in the hose in front of a south facing window. Lots of options. Ernie

This message was edited Mar 20, 2005 4:34 PM

Thumbnail by eweed
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i have been using an electric blanket going on 5 years now and have never had a problem.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

This is what we ended up doing

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/491901/

Saint Charles, IL(Zone 5a)

Heather I made a warm box for germanation in our basement. I made the box in about an hour with materials on hand. The Christmas lights are enough to raise the temp from about 60 degrees to 75. You can get more information at our web site: http://erehwonfarm.com/SeasExtend_WarmBoxes.html

Tim

Thumbnail by erehwontim
Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

ere..... "twinkle, twinkle little ""warm box""...... Sounds like it serves the purpose nicely & is cute to boot!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.