American Persimmon blooms

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The way I understand it, you have male and female persimmon trees and both bloom. Pollen from the male tree fertilizes the female.

Anyway, I want to add the unique bloom images to the PF when the trees bloom here in a bit. I have a tree that sets fruit, so it has to be female. I was planning on breaking off a branch and heading for the fencerows to compare blossoms, but if anyone has a description as what to look for, it would certianly help...the blossoms are small, and although persimmon trees are pretty common, I'd like a heads-up.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Persimons are my favorite fruit. I have several Asian persimmons and am interested in American persimmons. So I spent some time earlier this week reading about the American varieties. It seems that male trees can have some female flowers and vise versa while other trees have enough of both that a good crop can form. DG had a photo of the female flower. The 4th from the top is a photo of female flowers. I couldn't find a photo of the male flower. I gues you could assume that if it's not female, it's male. Hope this helps.
BettyDee

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

If you have my book native Trees for North American Landscapes look at the top of page 171 for male flowers.

Guy S.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've got the Audobon Eastern Field Guide and the Peterson Eastern Field Guide...the Audubon has a picture, but the bloom is past prime and the image isn't a close-up.

What's the complete title, and I guess we need to be introduced. Hi, I'm Melody..and I'm usually found over in the Vegetable, Tomato and Heirloom forums..pleased to meet you!

I've got a young tree(I'm guessing less than 10 years old) that sets a great quantity of fruit. It's a wild tree that has 3 trunks. Is it possible that one of those trunks could be male?

My theory is, a bird dropped a fruit with several seeds inside and these sprouted.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Melody, I'm Guy. That's the complete title of the book -- Native Trees for North American Landscapes, from Timber Press. Look for it under author names Sternberg and Wilson.

Sure, one stem could be male, although it might be equally likely that your clump consists of sprouts from a common root system and there is a male somewhere down the block. Check this year to see if all the stems bear fruit. But regardless, just enjoy it!

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.