Milk Cans

Lordsburg, NM(Zone 7b)

I have two old milk cans that thirty years ago were "bar stools"; I want to make into tall planters. Anyone have any ideas as to what would grow in them, something vertical and something "dangley".

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Maybe you could find a pot that would set into the top of the milk can, and I think a geranium ivy or petunias would look very nice. Then you wouldn't have to worry about something growing inside the milk can. I know here in our little town they have petunia pots hanging from all the light post on our main drag. And they are really a sight to see. We have a gal that drives the city truck with a water container in the back and she takes care of all the plants all summer.

Lordsburg, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks 2pugdogs:
Good idea! But I am looking for a tall plant to emphasize the height of the cans. A vertical treeish shrubish thingy. I have a tiny yard so most of my planting has to be containers in a disused part of a circular driveway against a backdrop of brother-in-law's "auto grave yard" on the other side of a chain link fence. This is going to be a part of a plant screen I am erecting.

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

How about a Wisteria trained as a tree. You get the height and the weeping effect at the same time?

Lordsburg, NM(Zone 7b)

That is an idea, dottik, but my experience with Wisteria is that it "gets away from me" and tends to eat fences and houses. I suppose now that I am retired I could watch it better but I lost a roof to a Wisteria in East Texas. Don't think I want to risk it!

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

I love wisteria...I had one that I had trained to be a tree.It was beautiful...it dripped with the blossoms every year and it wasn't hard at all. Just clip off anything that is smaller than a pencil in width. At least that approach worked for me. I have a pic of my wisteria I'm growing near the tool shed(below). This isn't the wisteria tree...I moved from the house I grew the wisteria as a tree. I drove by one day...maybe a year after we moved...the new owners chopped it down. oh well....

Anyhoo...how did you find the milk can? I would really be interested in obtaining one myself. Good luck finding something to put in the can. Maybe when you decide you can post a picture of it...I would love to see what you decide to do.

Lisa

Thumbnail by lisamr
Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

Harry Lauder's Walking Stick might be something to look into...I've been trying to find an excuse or a place to plant one of these trees. It's said to grow about 8 - 10 feet. As far as containers are concerned....I haven't gotten that far in the research. But here is a pic I found on the internet that is kinda neat.

Lisa

This message was edited Mar 16, 2005 3:20 PM

Thumbnail by lisamr
Lordsburg, NM(Zone 7b)

Lisa, that Wisteria is frightfuly close to your roof! Now "Harry Lauder's Walking Stick" is an idea. I had one once but it refused to live in my yard in Houston. Perhaps it is time to give it another try.

The milk cans are something I have been carting around for years, part of my pack rat syndrome. I think I have finally found a use for them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

What about something along the lines of a climbing vine? You could put the milk can with the vine up against that chain link fence and let it climb up & spread out to its heart's content....

Harry Lauder's Walking Stick can get wide as well as tall, which might unbalance your planter, so I'm not sure it's the best choice, although I have a little one in my front bed, and I love it! (So, find a space for one, Lisa! ;-)

I put a little dwarf alberta spruce in a big cedar planter (almost a half barrel) last fall. So far, it seems to have survived the winter. It's not very tall yet (it's really a baby), but it should stay fairly skinny as it grows higher. If you're looking for tall & skinny, you might also consider 'Skypencil' holly, or perhaps rather that new barberry -- tall, skinny one -- maybe also called Skypencil? Drat, I know I've seen it recently in a catalog, and now I can't put my finger on it. Or, have you seen those columnar apple trees?? Now, I'm not sure if any of these treess would definitely work in your milk can container, but I would think the volume of dirt should be sufficient, and maybe they'd settle for a little extra depth rather than width for their roots.....

Have fun with this project! Sounds like that view with the chain link fence could definitely use some improvment! :-)

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

Fog in the mist - I know...didn't think of it when I planted it last year...that was until I pruned it in the fall. So I'm keeping my eye on it...and cutting anything that eases up there. I figure I have about another 6 to 7 years before it starts raising the cement too...I love wisteria...but that doesn't mean it's the plant to have...LOL

Critterologist - Thanks...good to know about the growing habits of a tree. I used to pick plants cause they were soooo perdy! LOL thus the wisteria! Anyhoo...I really like the way the walking stick looks. Think I'll get me one this year.

Lordsburg, NM(Zone 7b)

You are right Critterologist, that "Skypencil" Holly would be ideal. Saw it somewhere in DG when I was wandering around. Now if I can just remember where.....

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Here you go: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/44292/
I have one in the ground to cover a telephone pole. It is in a raised bed. Slow grower so far. I bought it from Wayside Gardens 2 years ago. Linda

Lordsburg, NM(Zone 7b)

Right RDT exactly the look I am trying for! Now to scrounge up the money.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

You could also consider variegated zebra grass... gives the heigth but also drapes a little so it doesn't all look like a skinny column...

This one is a very large clump... you wouldn't want that much in a milk can...

Thumbnail by darius
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Just wanted to add a note about Harry Lauder's Walking Stick. I have one in my front bed, and I really enjoy it in fall, winter, and spring. However, no catalog picture shows you what it looks like in summer. The leaves on mine are as my palm, and they completely cover the interested twisty branch structure. It looks like a little pile of kudzu! I have plenty of other flowers in that bed to put on a summer display, so the summer appearance of this shrub is OK with me, but if you're planning to use it as a summer focal point, you might want to rethink that.

Greenback, TN

I have an old milk can that I plan to cut the bottom off of it, put the mailbox post inside, and grow a creeper inside to cascade over the edges.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

How abt several stalks of purple millet with sweet pot.vine . the lime green one.That would be a annual answer in my area. I didnt check your zone.Both are fast growers.

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

harry lauder does get 8-10' - at least mine have. i can't imagine having that in the milk can. [so far i've been using my milk can as a plant stand instead of a planter.]

Lordsburg, NM(Zone 7b)

Hadn't thought of that handhelpers, then I wouldn't have to put a hole in the milk cans. Good idea.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.