I'm too thrilledWisteria "Summerwine!"

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

This vine has been trained, having its trunk wrapped around & around (in perfect symmetry) a vining stake. It's gorgeous--already in the standard form I intended to grow wisteria this year! Anyone seen the bloom before? I haven't.........

MKJ

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

You'll have to post a picture when it blooms!
Sounds neat!
-T

Leander, TX(Zone 8b)

I want to see a picture!! I love Wisteria, but I don't think I am familiar with Summerwine?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ohh oooo oooo my white is about to bloom !
what does summerwine look like? A deep red? If so please please post pictures! And get a great shot of the trunk too!!
Isnt wisteria great!!!

When do you prune it? I want to train mine into a tree and am afraid I'll hurt it.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

You know, I think 'Summerwine' is definitely one of those "Texas Wisterias?" Here's the current growth, showing the trunk wound 'round the stake.......I think he's filling out beautifully!

Thumbnail by mkjones
Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

And a close up of the bloom.........it's not as raceme-like as the common wisteria.....deep, deep wine purple in color. Maybe if I fed/watered it differently, the swooping racemes would develop? What your best advice for me?? ;-)

Thumbnail by mkjones
Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

And crimson, I just prune whenever I want to shape it a little. I also whack off the shoots and bottom growth that tries to pop out of the "trunk." Doesn't seem to hurt mine in the least!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

MK,

I thought yours looked familiar. The leaf shape is right, the bloom color is right, but the leaf color on mine is a lot lighter green.

Mine is a Chinese Evergreen Wisteria. Aren't they lovely and the smell is delicious.

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Ah-ha! My new growth leaves are the same lighter green color as yours! And, I agree--I knew mine was an evergreen one.......my first wisteria.......not too well-versed! I LOVE the smell, and I'm a sucker for a good standard! ;-)

MK, aren't we lucky tho? I decided since I can't have lilacs waaaay down south here and the native Florida Wisteria is deciduous, we have the Evergreen.

We are sooo lucky aren't we?

Molly

MKJones-
your vine is millettia reticulata.

I've never seen it trimmed to a standard before...very nice!

They do get racemes, but not nearly as long as chinese wisteria, and certainly no where close to Japanes wisteria, but are much more well behaved, and aren't invasive.

The racemes on mine seem to get a little longer each year, so maybe age is a factor, too...the hummers LOVE it.
-T

Okay, please tell me....what is a raseme?

raceme is a long cluster of small flowers that usually hang down.

Thank you Seedpicker :^)))

Here is the official description:

ra·ceme (rā-sēm', rə-)
n.
An inflorescence having stalked flowers arranged singly along an elongated unbranched axis, as in the lily of the valley.

raceme
(Science: plant biology) An indeterminate inflorescence in which a main main stem produces a series of flowers on lateral stalks, the oldest at the base and the youngest at the top.

Butterfly bush has that then too. :^)))

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, the light-bulb just popped over in MollyMc's corner! lol

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

beautious MK :) Did you get your package yet??
janis

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.