I Needed to Do Something to Save them

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

At the old house it took me 2 years to find the right place in the yard to grow my orchids. Then I had to move to a rental house. No matter where I put them, they were getting sunburned. They were getting pretty poor looking, leaves going yellow and brown.

Right after Christmas my DS was visiting so I put him to work. We bought some brackets made to hold good sized dowels, mounted them on the north side of this tool shed and put the dowels across them. Then hung the orchids that had hangers on the dowels. There are a few down on the ground between the New Guinea Impatiens and Begonias. This was the only place I could think of that would be guaranteed not to burn out in the summer sun.

BTW, the Mango tree in the yard hit this shed when hurricane Frances blew through last September. There's a small veggie garden on the other side of the shed so I had to block the area to keep the dogs out. (Looks kinda hokey I know, but the orchids are happy now.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Who cares if it looks so called "hokey", orchids can make anything look good! Do you know which kind you have?

Capt,

I just went out and looked. There is one plant that still has a tag on it. That one is Ascda. Yeo Geck Bee.

I have put some of these in the trees at the old house and when I took them down, I doubled them up in pots with other orchids. All the rest of the tags are lost. There are a few I had shipped in from Hawaii in Dec. 2003.

There are a couple Catts, mini catt, spider, spider cross and a mini vanda and regular vanda. I was able to go look for some pictures. This is one from Hawaii. It bloomed Labor Day 2004

Thumbnail by MollyMc

I think this also came from Hawaii. I had a Lady Slipper too, but it may die.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Another from Hawaii

Thumbnail by MollyMc

This is a spider cross

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And here is the Spider

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Here's a group of a few all in bloom.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

When I started buying orchids, I would get a couple a month that were just starting to bloom so I could have orchids blooming every month of the year. Some I had attached to the trees at the old place and I didn't have the heart to rip them down, so they stayed there.

As a P.S. here's a picture of the tree that hit that shed right after I moved in. Matter of fact, I was in process of moving when the hurricane was coming. I didn't do any gardening until late September. I stored all the plants I had moved in the larger building on the right.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Your orchids are so pretty! I'm so jealous, I wish I could grow mine outside all year!

What's the prob. w/ your lady slipper?

Capt,

Thank you for the compliment. After reading your post and writing a response with a photo from 2003, I went out to take a picture of the Lady Slipper. I couldn't find her. So the problem is, she either died, or was left at the old house.

So right now, it's really no problem at all. I was warned by one of the local orchid growers that some Orchids coming from Hawaii may not survive. Even though both states are warm all year, the two climates are very different in terms of heat and humidity.

I have never had a plant vendor refuse to sell me plants because they might not survive in my climate.

Molly
:^)))

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I bet they've never refused to take your money in their climate either!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.