Can this Ivy be grown inside?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I was outside playing with my dog yesterday and I found this Ivy growing in the back corner of my yard. I was wondering if it could be grown inside in a pot. I have bought many Ivys and I have killed all but one. If this will grow inside, then I can have some inside as well as outside. I don't know what kind of Ivy it is either. Does anyone know what kind it is and will it grow inside in a hanging basket?

JesseK

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Look out! This looks like english ivy. Here is a picture of what will happen if you allow it to spread. Notice how it has covered the grass like a carpet. I got most of it out of the siding, but it took a while. If I don't get it off of my oak tree soon, it will die. Very invasive. I'm sure it will grow inside your house. It will grow anywhere!

Thumbnail by hgurule
Winchester, TN(Zone 7b)

hey its a little late but yes its a very good container plant its all over my kitchen ceiling line thats got some at wally world last year put in the window man never seen something grow so fast just make sure not to over water or let dry out also i use a 8lp test fishing line for a guide

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

JesseK,

Those are leaves I will never forget. It's English Ivy. It is so tenacious and fast growing I would rate as being only a few notches below Kudzu vines as a pest. It will grow both indoors and outdoors. I would keep it in a pot outdoors. Unless you want nothing but ivy growing in your yard, you need to pull it out. Pull as much of the roots as possible. It will regrow from any root nodes left in the ground. I battled it for 22 years. The thatch was over a foot hig when we bought the house. The above ground stems had diameters up to 3" with the below ground ones even bigger. The stems and roots are spongy making it difficult to cut. We used up gallons and gallons of Round-Up with spotty success. We moved 22 years later and there were still areas full of ivy.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I just spent four full days removing English Ivy from a huge area that it had taken over. It clings to walls and things with its air roots and is hard to remove without a scraper. The roots are huge and very thick, and I had to use Total Vegetation Killer to try to kill the roots. JesseK, there are some very pretty, mild-mannered ivy types, even variegated, that you can grow in a hanging basket that would look lovely, but English Ivy will get huge and will reach out and cling to things. I don't recommend this vine for anyone and agree that it is a pest. My neighbor's Ivy is coming over his fence and into my yard now, and I'm going to have to work on that next!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

deschazkody, do you have a picture of your Ivy growing in the kitchen?

I have this ivy in a pot and it grows just fine indoors.. And yes it does grow all over things outdoors..

I am looking for a vine that can turn a kitchen bay window into a window treatment of sorts. I want the vine to grow all around the edged of the window. Any suggestions?

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.