Goatheads

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

Does anyone have experience using the puncturevine seed/stem weevils?

I know they won't overwinter here, but I was wondering if several summers' worth of applications would take a dent out of our population. We usually burn them, but seeds still survive, and on acreage there's no way pulling them by hand is practical except in landscaped areas.
We have a neighbor with an entire yard of goatheads and we spend a lot of time there doing horse stuff, so they travel here too.
Thanks, Christie

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I found two links on goatheads. It seems that a number of herbicide applications are needed, but the seeds can remain viable for 20 years. The reason goatheads are so invasive is because it can produce seed within weeks of sprouting so repeated applications must be made before the weed produces seed. I don't know how practical it would be because it would depend on the acreage you have, but perhaps you could apply a pre-emergent. If it doesn't interfere with your forage since pre-emergents would keep grass seed from sprouting also. You might wish to contact you county extension agent.

BettyDee

http://texnat.tamu.edu/cmplants/toxic/plants/goathead.html

http://www.goatheads.com/goatheads.html

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi! Thanks, I've been on goatheads.com (I think I want a bumper sticker now) and that's where I learned about the weevils. These buggers are tough!

For herbicide, it really wouldn't interfere with forage but I would need to apply often. I have tried Triox in the past, but with such a big area, I'm not comfortable using that much (plus its expensive!). rn

I may end up having to burn and turn over and over again to at least take a good chunk out of them! Thanks again for trying though, I do appreciate it!!!! - Christie

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

According to the Colorado Department of Agriculture's website both Microlarinus lareynii the seed feeding weevil, and Microlarinus lypriformis the stem boring weevil are established in Colorado and are available from the Department--

PUNCTUREVINE (Tribulus terrestris)
The most successful biological control agents are Microlarinus lareynii, a seed feeding weevil, and Microlarinus lypriformis, a stem boring weevil. M. lareynii and M. lypriformis have been collected from established colonies around the state. Redistribution of M. lareynii and M. lypriformis is available upon request. As part of two beneficial insect exchange programs, these weevils were sent to Oregon and Washington State.

here is the link: http://www.ag.state.co.us/DPI/insectary/Weed%20Programs.html

Give them a hollar and ask if and when they will be available this year. Insects used to be free but believe they are now charging a small fee for mailing.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2005 7:53 PM

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow! Awesome, thanks, I will check on this tomorrow - anything to at least reduce their spread would be great --- one too many "pokies" in the feet lately!

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

caron - just wanted to let you know that the insectary here has me on the list for disbursement of the puncturevine weevil and also a bio control for tumbleweed. Thanks again! -Christie

The biocontrol for russian thistle (tumbleweed) is still available?!? Good to know-I wasn't sure about that one. I'll be trying it this summer here then too.
Thanks for the update!!
C

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey, caron! How ya' doin'!

John

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

caron - yup! that's what I was told. so he put me on the list for russian thistle too!

What are they charging you for shipping?

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

You know, I didn't ask. After I found a website that sells seed and stem weevils for $75 I figured whatever shipping is it will be a lot less expensive than that! :-)

Maybe they haven't started charging yet. At the last round of state budget cuts, there was talk of charging a small fee for shipping. The program was always free to residents in the past.
Yep-they can't charge near as much for what the website was asking!!
Good luck and keep us posted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.