what is super phosphate?

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Someone has been trying to convince me that I should use superphosphate to get lots of blooms, but I have a feeling it's not really organic in the sense I would like it to be, and more like speed for plants. Anybody know?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

'Tis true, Roseone...superphosphate is treated with sulfuric acid and is not considered "organic". Using it will result in an imbalalnce in the microbial population in the soil and a buildup of harmful salts. It also doesn't supply many of the trace elements that are available in phosphate rock

For loads of blooms, I wonder if your friend was thinking of magnesium sulfate (available as "Epson's Salt"). It, too, is not recognized by the NOS board as organic but is less harmful to your soil and ecology (and much less energy intensive to make) than superphosphate is.

Phosphorus, in the form of phosphate rock, is one of the best additions to your garden/plants you could ask for. However, phosphorus is also available from organic matter after it decomposes.

Hope this helps.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Horseshoe, very helpful. I think I'll stick with the old basics and my favorite, fish emulsion.

Chazy, NY

I was wondering if there is an organic 20-20-20 fertilizer out there?
I have tried fish emulsion but I live where the fox, skunk and raccoons roam at will and in great populations, everytime I used it i came out the next morning to find my plants popped out of thier hole like a pop-tart! Is Phosphate rock found in most stores? We are VERY limited here in our rural setting. Thanks for any advice!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy Sisnow...and WELCOME TO DG!

Phosphate rock should be available at most garden stores, just make sure it says it's ground phosphate (not superphosphate or triple superphosphate) for your organic needs.

As for a fertilizer like you want...it's difficult to explain (for me) the "numbers" when referring to organic fertlizer. The "numbers game" doesn't easily translate when using the same system for chemical ferts vs. organic fertilizers. For one thing, in an organic growing system the idea/system is to feed the soil. In the chem system the idea is to directly feed the plant. Organic growing is geared towards an ongoing long-term system of soil (and plant) health. The chemical system is a quick fix/quick feed and in the process quite a bit (the majority) of the nutrients are often-times unused due to leaching away into the soil or excess irrigation water (also leaving behind salts which are not good for your soil nor the life in the soil).

It's getting late for me but perhaps I can offer some suggestions another time for some good organic/natural choices for your plant food needs. What is it that you are growing? Veggies? If so, which ones?

Chazy, NY

Hi,

I am growing veggies (the usual, greens, legumes, broccoli, tomatoes, and potatoes) and flowers but my flowers production seems to wain from year to year. I add about and inch of compost on top of the soil every year but I'm not sure it is enough. I have always used organic gardening practices but I am envious of the blooms produced by my non-organic Mother in law. I'm also not very good about weekly feedings and such, just no time, so I tend to go for the slow release twice per season approach. Thanks for the info, I'll try the RP along with the compost this year.

SARANAC, NY(Zone 4a)

sisnow - the plattsburgh agway has it - also the piles of gray rock dust you see in the orchards up your way is exactly that - rock dust from the quarry in p'burg but it's lime content is high and is used as a lime application for the orchard - if you want to get some of both worlds by adding a bit of rock dust and lime together you can pick up some of that just up the road from agway at the quarry...........

Chazy, NY

Perrylawrence

Wow that's great, it's good to hear from someone who knows the area. Thanks! Any signs of spring there?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.