Saving dahlias from last summer ...

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

Last year I bought the tiniest seedling dahlia plants in flats. They quickly grew and looked great. When frost was about to come, I dug them, took the leaves and stems off and put them in a not-so-cold place in sphagnum moss. They have quite big tubers. Should I split them now and/or prepare them in a certain way? I have tried keeping them in the ground during the winter in previous years, but they have always been mushy in the spring. This is a different way I have tried to save them. I need advice from early spring till it is time to plant them in May in the ground. I am in Ohio in zone 6a. Thanks so much for any information.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I found this that might help.

http://www.connells-dahlias.com/connells_dahlias_web_page_236.htm

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have grown them from seed before. You can dig up the tubers and store them easily. When you are ready to plant them, cut them apart making sure each tuber has an eye. So long as you have an eye, you can replant each tuber and each will grow a new plant. I have planted them outdoor and started them in pots.

Good luck! They are lovely plants!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks to makshi and badseed for the pertinent information. I can't wait to see what I have now and get busy with them.

greenthumb_OH

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.