Alata Ruby Glow cutting

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Setting a flower bud,I should remove it,so roots can grow better,just don't have the will power.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hello, Tropicman. Thanks for referring me to this website. It is wonderful. I am wondering...Do you eat the fruit that this vine produces? I have read that the juice from the fruit is quite tasty. The flowers are really beautiful too. Where do you plan to put it in your garden? I hope the sun is shining for you today in Kansas:-) Temps got up to almost 80 degrees here today.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi HG,
Welcome,to Daves,I'm glad you like it here,folks are just wonderful.
Well so far,there really hasn't been one that has had a lot of fruit to taste,I understand they make drinks out of them most of the time.
Yes I plan to put them in the garden,where there able to climb up something,and in full sun,if all possible,a few of them are fragrant as well.
It was 83* here on Saturday,then only 40's today,snow forcasted for Tuesday,when will winter ever end????

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Snow! It's a good thing that you haven't planted it in the garden yet. It looks very healthy. Hope it gives you lots of fruit. I didn't realize that some of them have fragrant blooms. How big do the blooms get?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's a pic of what the flower will be if it were on a full size plant,about 4 to 6 inches across,and very fragrant.
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/Tropicman_1097344530_799.jpg

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Don, long time no see. Needing spring here. No crocuses even, ground has been too cold. Hoping to see "spring" soon! Loved your pic.

Gloria

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Gasp! That is an incredible bloom! Much larger than I thought, and the color is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Gloria,try clicking your heels 3 times while saying I wish spring was here,I wish spring was here,oh wait until Sunday !LOL!
Hg these are really great flowers,shame they only last a day!

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Wasn't easy to do, but I think it worked! It is to be high 40s all week, then 50 next week, do you suppose............

I would Never pinch a bud off, until I saw it bloom for a day, then pinch it.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi,keep fingers croosed!!!
Same here,weak!!!bud keeps getting bigger!!

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

WTG, hang in there! Let us see pic whenever...

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Hi Don! You still have your bigger one, don't you? I hope so! Congrats on getting a cutting to root! That is a tough one to root. I am surprised that you are getting a flower bud now. Yes, I would pinch it off so that energy can be directed to the roots and to growth and not to flower production. A bloom at this point could cause the cutting to suffer for it.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Clare,
Yes I still have the big one,growing real well,your right about cutting the bud,I have 2 cuttings both with buds,but can't seem to make my self cut the buds off.
Cuttings still growing great,putting on new leaves as well.
Spring just 2 days away!!!!

LOL, Don! Well, don't cut it off then:-) So, it roots a little slower...that's okay. You can always take new cuttings if you need to. I just potted up some P. helleri cuttings today which were starting to root in water. The last batch didn't make it when I tried to root them in soil so I'm hoping this batch will succeed. As soon as I'm sure that P. helleri has rooted, I'll send it to you along with your P. amethystina. I think I also have P. platyloba for you. We're probably looking at mid-April if you think the weather will be warmer then. I'm trying to root your Lavender Lady for Kay. Is that one an easy one to root? Right now, it is flowering everywhere.

Here it is climbing and mixing with a Bougainvillea, a Bow Tie Vine, and a lavender Trumpet Vine.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Clare,sounds just great.
Yes the Lady lavender was my most abundant flowerer I had last year.
I have rooted it in water,but not soil,I think if you layer it in the soil,you'll have better luck.
Mid April will be just fine.
Spring 2 days away!

Layering is a great idea. That's what I'll do. Thanks, Don!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.