Gonna try a new plan for my vines

Mc Call Creek, MS

I read somewhere about an arboretum that, like the old woman who lived in a shoe,
it had so many vines it didn't know what to do. Sooo, it solved the problem by putting posts into the ground and training each vine up the post and letting it cascade down.

I have personal experience with doing this with wisteria. It makes a tree form and is really quite beautiful. It does require judicious clipping to keep in shape.

Anyway, this arboretum had 300 like this! I'm going to start with tall metal fence posts surrounded by small hogwire cages. I figure that this would work whether the plant is in a pot or in the ground. If it needs greenhousing in the winter, leave it in the pot and just clip it back.

Does anybody have experience with anything similar to this? I have about a half mile of fence in the front of the house out by the road. However, there is no water source. For the number of vines we're talking about here, a 5-gallon bucket is not an option.

I had some of them planted on small pine trees last year, but the weight of the vines and the storms blew the trees down.

Then there is the question of vines that get really humongous and heavy. I'm going to try it and see what happens.

I am sure open for suggestions!

Kay

That is a terrible picture, but anyway, it's the front fence with podranea roscoeana.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2005 8:03 PM

Thumbnail by TrixieM
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I saw a picture of a field with a commercial crop of passiflora edulis flavicarpa, a while back.
It was just as you described. Rows and Rows of 8ft. 4x4 posts stuck in the ground at intervals. Some even had a small "t-top" to them.

It would be a lot of work upfront, but would really help show off your vines, and help to grow large specimens.

You say water is not easily managed in that area...does it get a lot of wind? Wind could really damage them if they don't get enough water...

Our entire garden room slash pergola, was created in order for me to plant more vines...lol...so I know how it is when you want more vines, but have run out of room!

There is a method of gardening called the Mittleider method, and in one of the sections of one of his books, he shows how to construct just such a thing. His however, has an added feature of a ...hm..very hard to explain...let me see if I can find a picture...
It is so you can drape plastic over the top of the poles like a greenhouse type thing...
I'll write again and post after I find the picture...
-T

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great idea. I'm going to have to remember this.
:) Donna

Kay-
I just found it!
I even bought the cd this past winter so I'd have something to read and study after my surgery. Love it! The cd has tons of great pictures, information, and ideas.

Here is a thread and the first post has a picture. In the winter, greenhouse plastic is draped over and secured at the bottom, to extend the season...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/409643/

This message was edited Mar 13, 2005 9:17 AM

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

When I planted kiwi vines 'back home', my husband made T-posts out of 1' galvanized pipe and embedded them in a cement filled hole. We planted a number of trees two years ago here on the ranch. Putting in water pipe lines to these trees was out of the question. I bought a 75 gallon plastic rain barrel from Gardener's Supply Co.

http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/department.asp?DeptPGID=19694

When I need to water, I put the barrel in the bed of my Gator, fill the barrel at the faucet, take a book to read and water those poor babies. I must admit, I don't have 1/2 mile of trees.

It really seems as if you need something that is either drought tolerant or grows in your area without extra water, except maybe enough water to get the vines exablished. See your local extension agent for suggestions.

BettyDee

Mc Call Creek, MS

Taylor, that is really a neat setup for tomatoes. Fortunately we don't have to deal with Utah winters here. We had tomatoes this past year through January......probably a fluke that will never happen again, but it was wonderful.

Bettydee, I like your idea on watering. DH is pretty handy, and I would think he could put a faucet and hose on a 55 gallon drum for me. I could put her on the ATV and do the same thing. (Probably wouldn't fill all 55 gals up at one time.) Actually, we have an old beer barrel with a faucet on it.....given to us by a neighbor who used it to boil crawfish. This might also work.

Thanks for all the good ideas! Any more?

Kay

Kay-
It is not JUST for tomatoes. They use it for cucumbers, and other vines.

This is just about the same set up they used for the passion vines, only they didn't use the top portion for winter protection.
Same idea.
-T

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Kay that sounds like a wonderful idea to me. The GA3 is on the way

Here is a more decorative version of some t-frames I cut out of a magazine a few years back:

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Atchison, KS(Zone 5b)

Wow seedpicker that is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! Mikey

Mc Call Creek, MS

T, I agree! That is beautiful! I'd be afraid to have one here that closely planted. I'd get snake-bitten for sure!

And besides, I'm not a good carpenter, and although DH is, and he takes mercy on me and my projects pretty often, he is up to his eyeballs right now planting the perfect veggie garden. 'Guess I'll have to stick to the kind I can manage myself.

Donna, it came today! Thanks so much. Envie in mail to you tomorrow!

Kay

Frederick, MD(Zone 7b)

I was wondering if putting in a drip system would be out of the question for your closer posts. If you had a faucet in your front yard it's real easy to install and include a timer- I even did it myself in my back yard in my previous house in Tucson (and if **I** can do it .... lol).
Carolyn

Mc Call Creek, MS

Carolyn, I'm really pretty much of a klutz when it comes to building stuff or mechanical stuff. We're talking about maybe 300 feet to the front fence, also. I drag around about 250 feet of garden hose to various places in the yard, but my endurance in our hot steamy summers won't make it much higher than that.

I do have the above the ground drip hoses set up permanently in my ginger bed, which is "way out there". I'm probably going to set up timed sprinkling on my brugmansias this summer, also, because they require so much water, and there are so many of them.

I was thinking of putting the vines posts somewhere a little closer in the yard. That way I don't need to worry about how far it is to the fence.

I do admire your ingenuity!

Kay

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Howdy, being a basic garden crazy lady I have sand in my yard that "perks" at 55mph. I have been using polymer crystals that absorb water and release it back to the plants as they need it. I have spent varying amounts like $15. a pound.
This is a great source for it http://www.watersorb.com/prices.htm
I just purchased 10 pounds and plan on using it for thursty plants like vines, new guinea impatients and others. One dry tablespoon around the bottom of a planting hole for a one gallon or bigger plant is plenty.
I also got some "powder" that I'm using to keep seed area damp.
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.