What Beardeds are up now?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is my first: Intermediate Bearded Iris "Concertina". Photo taken March 10. It has I stalk and 4 buds right now. It was put in last fall.

I thought that it would be fun to add images as the dates pass and have a running record of Iris coming up in the spring. Please post what's coming up for you.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Tall Bearded Iris "Glistening Icicle" taken today.

Thumbnail by doss
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Doss, Glistening Icicle is beautiful! Is it really this blue?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, it's that blue. It's a fairly small flower for a tall bearded iris. And according to Nola's it's a very early one - it's been blooming for them for three weeks now. If you see the other image in the plant files it is much more pale, but this photo was taken when the Iris was just open. It makes a big difference as to substance and color. Here's another photo of the same iris on the same day. It's so interesting that the form looks so different here. The first one was taken more from above. I may take it several times through it's bloom and then we can see what happens.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2005 10:40 PM

Thumbnail by doss
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Doss, where did you order this iris?

Maxine

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

doss, thanks!
I'll be watching for your answer to Maxine's "where did you order this".
Bonnie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Happy shopping! You've chosen one of those less pricey iris. It's $2.95 at Nola's Iris Garden.

http://www.walking-p-bar.com/shopsite/product152.html

The caption says that it's late, but it's early. They have offered a discount which is posted in a fairly long letter at:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/480673/

They are open for orders for the 2005 year now.

It would be great if we posted where Iris were available as we photo them. "Concertina" came from there too.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

"Point in Time"

Thumbnail by Kelli
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Kelli. Is that the mystery historic Iris behind it?

Yes, that is one of those.

Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

Wow Dorothie you and some other members got irises in bloom. Really like 'Concertina' and "Point in Time". I ordered some look a like irisses. Well we can't have them all :)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Concertina is a great one John. It blooms for a long time and won an HM in 2002. Maybe next year. It's a small flower, but it's so beautiful close up. I'm sure the one you ordered will be as beautiful.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

That "Glistening Icicle" is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing it, doss. One thing I love about Irises is that it's the only large flower I know of that combines such great shades of blue in one flower in so many ways.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Ditto what Steve said!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I do have to make a caveat with "Glistening Icicle". I think that there are more modern cultivars with better staying power that you might be able to find.

But this one is really blue.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

doss, glistening icicle is beautiful, i love any flower with blue coloring. i have it ordered. belinda

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's another blue one from Blue J Iris called 'Cross Current'. I never know from seller photos but i think that I may buy this one.

Thumbnail by doss
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, that is a beauty, Doss.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

doss, you have to quite tempting me or you will have to come from ca. and help me. LOL belinda

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Could your historic be Color Carnival ?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds like fun daylily - I could take you shopping for more plants!

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

my favorite thing to do! i love a bargain! i know several great greenhouses that are within an hour or less drive. belinda

A whole bunch of "the burgundy iris".

Thumbnail by Kelli
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Kelli those are beautiful!!

Thank you :-)

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

kelli, those are really pretty! do you know the name? belinda

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I can see why you say that aka "Burgundy" is so prolific. And nice strong stems too. If I had too many plants, this wouldn't be a bad one to have.

No, Belinda, we don't know what "the burgundy iris" is. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/491802/

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

duh! i read your thread, just forget. i have looked at too many irises in the last 2 wks. if you never know it's name, it's still beautiful! belinda

That's o.k. I don't expect anyone to remember or to have seen the other thread. There is so much going on in all the forums.

The burgundy iris is so prolific that it can successfully compete with grass, weeds, Centranthus ruber (a semi-weed), Aloe saponaria, and just about anything else that will take over the yard if I let my guard down.

In a few days, I should have a picture of another unknown that came with the house, "the purple iris".

I won't have those "purple iris" pictures as soon as I had expected. The wind broke off all of the flowers on the clump that was ready to bloom. Major bummer. :-( I have other clumps of purple iris, but they aren't ready to bloom yet.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

We'll look forward to the photo whenever it comes. It is a bummer when something like that happens. It doesn't look like aka. Burgundy has that problem.

I don't think there are any burgundy growing where tree branches can thrash them, but burgundy might have slightly thicker stems than purple. Here's a picture of purple that was taken last year, before I had a digital camera.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Ah, well tree branches - that's a whole other picture. Aka purple as as lovely as the burgundy. I was surprised actually, the old timers usually are incredibly sturdy.

Personally, I like the purple better than the burgundy, though the burgundy is more prolific. It's probably more prolific than any other perennial type thing I have, except maybe Aloe saponaria. (It's a good thing Aloe and Iris are my favorite plant genera.)

Here's another unknown that came with the house. I call this one "the white iris". (No, creative writing has never been a strong point of mine.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is Batik. I don't know why the stems are so short. Maybe it's smart enough to stay out of the wind.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow! Those are two really diverse plants.

This is my favorite of what I have. This is "Jumping" (goofy name). This picture was taken a couple years ago. I don't think it will bloom this year. This is not a particularly vigourous variety and I had to relocated it to where it would get more water and less competition.

Thumbnail by Kelli

"Jumping" again

Thumbnail by Kelli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.