Oriental lilies and full sun?

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I've kind of run out of room in my morning sun/afternoon shade area. All I have left is sun/sun and shade/shade. What happens to oriental lillies if grown in full sun? By full sun, I'm talking from dawn til dusk. I have one section that is shaded by the fence until about 10am, but hot the rest of the day. That same area is where I have some canna lilies growing as well, so would have to water. I've never grown these guys before and didn't think I ever would have until I discovered buggycrazy (also got my cannas from her).

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Do not plant in shade. Plant in full sun or afternoon sun. Most asiatic lilies do fine with that.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think Emily was asking about oriental lilies rather than asiatic ~

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have orientals in full sun all day long they do just fine there.

kathy

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

There's a big difference between full sun - Portland Ore and full sun - anywhere in the south. You should not have any problems in your region of the country, though in areas with hot summers too much sun can be very hard on them. My Orientals do best in sun with a northern or eastern exposure, though Orienpets seem to tolerate a lot more.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2005 6:35 PM

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Sorry, I meant orientals. I don't think you will have a problem in zone8. If you planted lilies in hot desert sun in AZ it may be a different matter. We have lilies in full sun and they prosper, but then again we are zone6b.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Our summers are hot (90's) and very, very dry as we have very little rain between late June and early September and our humidity is routinely only between 20 and 30% during that time. It cools off at night down to the high 50's or 60's. Nothing like AZ, but we don't have the humidity the east and southeast has.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Gosh, Emily -- I didn't realize you're even a zone warmer that Steve in Ft. Worth. Do your temps ever get in to the 100's?

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Moby,

Their winter lows are somewhat higher than ours, but our summer highs are much higher than theirs. Portland's avg high in both July and August is 79F; it is 97F and 96F respectively in Ft Worth. Avg low in Portland in December and January is 37F; avg low in Ft Worth is 31F and 35F respectively.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2005 11:07 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sounds heavenly to me! We go zinging from one end of the thermometer to the other here.

When I moved back here from Minnesota, moving day was a lovely 106°.

Victorville, CA(Zone 8a)

Emily,
This is only my 2nd year with orientals. so very limited experience. Last year I planted some Stargazers in full, hot desert sun and some in an area that got some shade. The plants in full sun seemed to do ok but the flowers had a very short lifespan. They also seemed more vigorous than those in partial shade. We'll see what this year brings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.