Washington Hawthorn vs. American Mountain Ash

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm trying to add a bird-attracting tree to my yard and really like these two trees.

Both have there pros and cons, but I was wondering which ya'll would choose and why. The biggest "pro" for the Wash. hawthorn is that it provides winter fruit, which I need in my overall landscaping plans. Its biggest "con" is that I've read it's prone to leafspot. A "pro" for the Mountain Ash is that it is a relatively clean tree (or so I've read), but borers and a few other pests may be a problem.

I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks!
Jacci

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

As long as the thorns are of no concern, I'd go with the haw. Washington hawthorn is less prone to foliage diseases than many other species. You might also consider green hawthorn (usually available as the cultivar 'Winter King') for winter fruit. Mountain-ash is beautiful, but extremely susceptible to insects and diseases unless you live at 5000 feet elevation or in the far North, or in a benign maritime climate like that of northwestern Europe.

Guy S.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Good deal, Guy :) You're a wealth of info, aren't you??? LOL -- so as far as the Winter King vs. the Washington, which do you prefer. The thorns aren't a problem, so the only factors really are fruit & disease/pest resistance. Thank you so very much for your help :)

Jacci

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I haven't noticed many real thorns on my washington hawthorn...and the fruit is there and the birds love it :)

Thumbnail by hczone6
Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Spring

Thumbnail by hczone6
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

HCzone 6, you don't have washington hawthorn there, thus the lack of thorns! What's worse, it looks like one of those darned callery pears, except I would expect much better (brilliant red) fall color from them. The washington haw also has nice red fall color.

Hugahosta, either hawthorn is nice and both hold their fruits well. Washington will be a little more upright and dense, green will have a little nicer (silvery) bark.

Guy S.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

If that's the case, then it was mislabeled by the national arbor day foundation (which I'm no longer a member of and won't ever be again)

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

If you were going to the Iowa RU, I'd almost be willing to bring you my washington hawthorn. I originally got in with some other seedlings from National Arborday foundation. Although I've seen it listed as bush, I've trained as a tree. The thorns are wild! Spikes are a better description. The last couple of years I've had to cut off some kind of reddish gall forming on the end of some branches. I've been seriously considering digging it up this year since I've got Chinese Red birch and Water birch started from seed and also received a paperbark maple and 2 jacquemonti maples from Forest Farms. decisions, decisions.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I might have to eventually (within 2 or 3 years) cut down this beast. I'm sure now it's a pear. It'll get way too big next to the house...and way too many leaves falling on or near the house. That stinks because the area looks good right now since the tree has filled out and matured. Oh well. But I guess that Dawn Redwood might get way too big being so close the house (within 25 feet), but I'm going to avoid cutting that beauty down at all costs. It's perty :)

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Another cool thing about the Dawn Redwood is that it takes to pruning like a duck to water. It breaks quite easily from old wood. The succulent leader can suffer winter die back each year and a new one stands up and takes off. So 25 feet is not too close if you want to limb it up and/or do some shape pruning to control the width and height.

Craig Bergmann's nursery is a few blocks behind my house. Last fall I was showing my visiting DS around there. On the north side of the lath house for the shade plants I finally took notice of a row of trunks. Hmmm, thats cool and looks familiar with their shredding cinnamon bark. I look up and realize he has a row of pruned Dawn Redwoods!!

This is one of my favorite trees on my lot. Another plus being next to the house: while it may defoliate each fall (nice burning match color too, huh?) those little needles will flush down the rain gutters with no problem. Unless your pear is already very tall, you could start pruning that as well. Kind of like an in-ground bonsai. Actually there's a name for it because the Chinese have it down to an art. Pruning an in-ground tree to keep it at a certain height and width but doing it so it retains natural shape and looks like a full size tree. Another very neat style which I'm attempting on some of my own.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I guess the pear is about 17' tall now. I'll let it go for awhile...but I have been pruning it up a little to let more light under it.

I love the fall color of this redwood...

Thumbnail by hczone6
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

love 'em! Then as they get older the trunks become fluted (I guess that's the term). They look to me like there's been a bunch of smaller trunks banded together. For me, the great trunk and bark justifies limbing them up as well.

Atchison, KS(Zone 5b)

I vote for the Washington Hawthorne. I hope to add one to my yard this year. The berries lasted so long, it was wonderful last fall. Mikey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.