Highly acidic water

Precipice Valley, BC(Zone 2a)

Does anyone know if highly acidic water is detrimental to my garden, in general?

We live in a pine/fir forest, and the water (well water for us, river water pumped up to an outdoor cistern for the garden) tests at around 6. For that matter, anyone know if that level of acidity is harmful to US? I've googled the question but can't come up with any answers.

I'd like to get an environmental/health assessment of our water, but it has to get to them within 12 hours of sampling and we live so remotely that it isn't possible.

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Unless you grow plants which prefer a very alkaline soil, then most plants like soil slightly or moderately acidic. Things like acid rain, use of acidifying fertilizer, etc tend to acidify soil over time. If you water with pH of 6.0 then the soil will gradually acidify towards this level, too. pH of 6.0 is not bad, however. If your SOIL pH ends up at an equillibrium of ph 6.0 then do not lime. Leave it.. your plants will love it. If you grow shade loving plants like hostas, ferns, hydranges, etc then I bed you they are all much happier at these levels than 7.0, 7.5, or above.

Of course if you happen to be a LUPINE lover, then you may have to supplement your plants with some lime every year. This is not an impossible task, however, and raising pH is fairly straight forward, simple and effective. Lowering pH is much more difficult, however.

In short: your water is just fine for gardening. Don't worry.

Precipice Valley, BC(Zone 2a)

Mmmm, good tip about the lupines--I didn't know that. I'll lime them this spring, if the snow ever goes. About now, I start to get pretty impatient!

Good to know about the garden water. Now, what about the water in me......?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.