Clematis seeds

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I purchased these seeds from Ebay. I've never seen any Clematis seeds that look like these. Do you think these look like viable seeds?

Thumbnail by ahelms
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Sorry. The pic before looks fuzzy. I think this does too.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2005 2:09 PM

Thumbnail by ahelms
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hope this one is better. LOL

Thumbnail by ahelms
Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

It would have a lot of fuzz in with them, but looks as if you might possibly have maybe 5 seeds? They would be the darker brown( like in the middle of pic) brown head with a stem. I have been sent nothing but fuzz, supposedly to be the seeds. Hope you do have some, good luck.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

There would need to be a hard seed with a "tail" as Hisbiscus mentioned. Did the seller indicate the number of seeds? Also, FYI, clematis seeds do not grow true to type and take several years to produce blooms. Buying a blooming size plant is worth the $$$.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :0(

Sandy

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i have clematis seeds and they dont look like those. all mine are fuzzy (made that way to fly).

go to walmart and buy a plant. its easier and you will see blooms this year. like seedsower says its worth the money.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I know they probably don't grow true to seed but I like to see what they grow. Thanks. I've never seen seeds that looked like these.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I've grown plenty of clematis from seed, and they can be large and some can be quite small. Yours are a bit on the small end, but normal for certain species.

They germinate best outdoors. They like erratic temperatures and have erratic germination. They require patience, but usually reward you, eventually!

I'd suggest you get a container, and sow them outdoors immediately. Let them experience some cold weather, and hopefully, if the seeds are fresh, they may germinate in Spring. If not, just continue to keep them in the container, outdoors, and they should eventually sprout.

I've had fresh seed right off the vine germinate in as little as a month, and also had clematis seed I either purchased, or traded for, take two years to sprout!

What variety do you have? Most need cold spell, but some do not. My C. heiraclefolia germinate just find at 70* in just weeks...

-T

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Seedpicker, She just called them hot pink Clematis. I have several trays of various Clematis seeds already sown outside.A few have came up. I also have some of the Heiraclefolia already up.

Good for you!
I just love the heiraclefoloia...and the rhederiana, and the rooguchi, and the pitcheri and the....lol...
Blue light is my very favorite...
-T

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Taylor, I don't have the last three. Some to look for to add to my collection. LOL

Seiboldii is another great one...
No wonder clematis are considered a garden "classic"...
-T

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I have the Seiboldi. I love it and I like the Ms Bateman

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I have a batch of seeds Jackmanii lying in the packet for two years and I have been confused how to start them. Are they still viable?

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Dinu, They're probably still good. Only way to find out is to plant them. LOL

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

Clematis question: I cannot locate my tag, but last spring I purchased 3 clematis plants, one died. The clematis is supposed to be fragrant and have blooms similar to dogwood - the problem is that it never bloomed - should I give it another try this year??? TIA!!!

Sherrylike-
did you accidentally prune the blooms off, by accidentally pruning at the wrong time?
There are different classes of clematis and so many of them have different pruning requirements.

I always have to look mine up before I chop, as I cannot seem to remember all the different schedules for mine, in my head.

Nope, never pruned them, last year was there first year, they didn't need pruning, just blossoms. Irks me, they were not cheap and I dig my own holes, grrrrrr. Thanks!!

Sherrylike-
I can definitely feel you pain! lol...I've bought several things that took years to age and bloom!
It can be frustrating, and requires more patience than I'd like for it to! lol...
-T

Thanks!! I'll wait them out - shoot, they might not even come back...

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Sherry, the Clematis plant MAY come back. If you kept it watered and didn't let it dry out, the vine might have been putting all its energy into root development. Clematis plants do that. That is why they look sparse the 1st year. The 2nd year they look a bit fuller and by the 3rd year....watch out! My C. "Henryi" did exactly that!

Thanks, Shirley2md!!! I have a purple one in another location that has never had a smidgen of care and it's wonderful...if these don't come back, they aren't meant to be and I'll move on...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.