germination/set out days chart

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks - It is printed, highlighted and on the wall!

-Kim

Narragansett, RI(Zone 6b)

Good Stuff!

Thanks Rak

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Thankx, KRAUSE!!!!!!!!!! USEFUL CHART!!!!!!!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks! This is real helpful.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

This looks great, and I even had my dh make it a spreadsheet to automatically calculate the dates. But I'm confused by some of the setting-out dates for, say, snap beans. I thought they could go out anytime after the frost-free date, but this chart says 8 weeks after? Also, direct seeding carrots 3-6 weeks after last frost? Seems pretty late. I'm new at this, though...

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Zeppy, I'm pretty sure in zone 6b you can plant carrots from seed right now. And once the temps are warm and frost free, you can definitly plant snap beans. If you waited 8 weeks, summer would be about over. There must be some sort of mix up.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

The confusion is because of difference in growing seasons. . .UC Davis material is geared to growing conditions here in California, which for instance here in San Joaquin Valley, has a very long growing season. My tomatoes have been in the ground for 2 weeks already (w/ a loose fitting cover because night-time temps can still drop below 40°. I can start a second batch in Mid-May to June and when they others fizzle in the heat around end of July, set them out in the garden and they will go until December, or first hard frost. There is alot of great info to refer to in books and on the web, but the drawback is that they are written for a certain area and the rest of us have to make adjustment for our zone. Hope it helps clear up the confusion a little.

;-D Janet

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I think they mean for you to start the seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before the frost date.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Gotcha; thanks. I'd thought it was the sort of thing where you could plug in your frost-free date and just run from there...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.