replacing grass

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I hate grass! My back garden has a pretty small amount of it.I am looking for something to replace the grass.We are hot and humid and do not have much rain during the summer.The area is in full sun and has lite traffic.Any ground cover suggestions?I thought of mondo grass but read that it does better in shade.I saw what I thought was mondo grass in west africa and it was doing well in full sun but they have lots of rain.I live close to the beach and have sandy soil.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Perhaps a groundcover thyme? Likes lean soil, full sun, can take light foot traffic (some of them, anyway) and does well with our high humidity here.

Finally someone answered this! Thank you.That is a very good suggestion.I was thinking about it.I think that it rains enough so that I won't have to water.I went down to Charleston yesterday and saw mondo grass in some of the small front gardens in full sun.I think I'll try both of these things.Thank you again for the advice.
Nancy

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

My thyme seems to do best with only rainwater for it's survival, whether that's a couple times/week or close to drought. The only time I ever watered was to get it established - and then not much, as I recall.

Sounds perfect to me.
Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.