Hawthorne Shrubs

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello All,

I was looking for a shrub that would eventually be a hedge for the side of my house. I love the thick beautiful leaves on the hawthorns, and I also like the idea of fragrant flowers. The lable on the shrubs says sun to partial shade. I was told that some plants that say full sun can be grown in TX in areas with light shade. How many hours of sun would they need? Can anyone tell me more about them?

The area I'm thinking of is sunny part of the day, but is shaded by the eave of our house, and I think our neighbor's house too. It's been cloudy lately, but as soon as I get a sunny day, I plan to pay attention to how many hours of sunlight that spot gets.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

mine are planted on south side of house, full afternoon sun and they do great. but I think they can also be planted in part shade. Low maintenance but they are disease prone and need to be treated promptly or else they'll start losing leaves. You have probably noticed many houses that will have a row and in the midle of the row invariable there is a dead, scraggly one. I've had a couple of those and simply replaced them. now all look beatiful.

In doing some research I learned that the variety "ballerina" is more disease resistant and prettier as it puts out a pink flower. I recently found some at walmart for $4-5. but hurry, these sell fast as people use them for foundation plantings.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you. I'll pass this information onto my husband.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I've changed my mind. We found 1 gallon azaleas at Lowes today, and decided to opt for those. I know they will grow in that spot, and I think they might be a little more resistant to disease.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.