Starting tomato seeds

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

HELLO!

I seeded tomatoes today. We raise a big garden, I do a lot of canning, so far I have seeded about 300.. Also seeded sweet peppers, and some coleus. Sure keeping my fingers crossed that I get good germination, etc.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Good luck and Welcome to DG! You will love it here. There are alot of pros and alot of novices - all of us equally enthusiatic and eager to share! (Both the bad and the good!)

What varieties are yougrowing?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Welcome defoecat! We have lots of great members in KY...you're in good company!

Hope to see you around the site! And yes, tell us more! What kinds are ya growing?

Sequee & Horseshoe:

Yesterday I seeded Early Harvest Hybrid, Mortgage Lifter, Bucks County Hybrid, Fourth of July Hybrid, Supersteak Hybrid, Red Brandywine, Better Girl, and Big Boy. The Coleus were the varigated variety and the peppers were the California Sweet. Since I want to save seed, I have started my own journal, hope I can keep everything straight!! Am working on tags right now. You know this gardening is a lot of work. So what do you grow? We grow every vegetable imaginable. We don't sell it, just furnish our families and neighbors all summer. I think some of them cringe when they see our vehicle come in their driveway!! Hee Hee.

Victorville, CA

Welcome defoecat! From one novice to another. I learn something new everyday here at DG's. Have you checked the tomato formum yet?
-Juli

Juli64, I check several forums everyday, several times a day. Of course when warm gardening weather gets here, I will have plenty to do, and will be lucky if I get to check once a day. So what kind of garden do you have, and what kinds of things do you grow? It snowed here today. Yesterday was 62 degrees, and today 32. They always say, if you don't like the weather in Kentucky, wait 12 hours and it will change!! And it sure does.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Amen to that! Greenhouse was 85*...with wind chill outside it was about 40* and they are predicting sleet for tonight...sigh....

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

defoe...I'm a market gardener/greehouse grower/backwoods barefoot hillbilly. I reckon I grow everything from veggies to veggie plants/herbs/shrubs/bedding plants, etc.

Sounds to me like you really enjoy your gardening and are excited to get going! Yay!
As for saving seed that can be quite fun! You'll find best results with OP seeds though and not hybrids. And be careful with some OP seeds cus some will more readily cross with others and who knows what you may end up with! (However, keep in mind, the end result could also be fun, too!) :>)

Mercy...snow in KY today!? Which end of KY are you? One of our annual DG Roundups are held in KY...perhaps you can come this year and meet some of us, eh?

(Hi Juli! Nice to see ya again!)

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

BackWoods, BareFoot, HillBilly, ya gotta love it. Good luck and welcome D.Cat, and Shoe, keep all the info coming, I enjoy your threads, and I hope your feeling better. Danny

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

horseshoe... you left out "hairy- legged country boy". as they say where I'm from. Bet it applies too!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"hairy legged country boy" fits! Works for me! (So does "boney legged"!) And Dan, yes, those adjectives all fit me to a T!)

Defoecat...hope we ain't scaring ya off! We really are a sane bunch of folks!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Hahahahhahahahah!

Is one of the requirements for being a DG, being sane? If it is, I sure am on the wrong site.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

Corinn thinks that I am crazy when it comes to the garden so I feel comfortable here...

Drew

Victorville, CA

Hi Horseshoe! Glad to hear you are up and at em again. Terri/Pete2 has broncitis. Hope she comes back to us soon.
I'm just a backyard gardener who could never figure out why some years my garden was yuck and now I've moved to a larger home with alot more land and am able to have a larger garden. I'm doing tomatoes and 3 different kinds of green beans and corn and some herbs and edible flowers and a bunch of smaller stuff like radishes and onions. Later season will be pumpkins and squash. I'm dreamin of a garden that is edible but pretty to walk thru.
-Juli

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

hello and a late welcome from upstqate new york.

Louisville, KY

Folks, I have discovered that defoecat lives only about 30/45 minutes away. We can have our own RU! lol It is so good getting acquainted with our new "gardening" friend. She grows a lot of things at her farm.
It has been a very bleak winter for me, but I think things are looking up! Welcome, Bonnie, to Dave's Garden!
Gary/Louisville

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.