Some expertise por favor on Miltonopsis

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

I've got a salvaged Miltonopsis that has been living in my new greenhouse for about 6 weeks. I'm encouraged by the flower spike, but a little perplexed about the reddening of the underside of the foliage on this plant. I've got about 3500 foot candles on the table where this plant is currently placed. Am I sunburning this plant? is it a phosphorus deficiency? And if it is, why is the plant responding to this exposure with a rather impressive bloom spike? Sheesh....I'm asking waaay too many questions for a single thread.

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Another view of the same plant, salvaged from my local retail nursery, showing a new spike.

Thumbnail by drdon
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would think the plant got a bit too much light. The leaves of Miltoniopsis should have the color of a Granny Smith apple. You can flower Cattleyas and Laelias at 3500 foot candles, Miltoniopsis need less. I keep my plant on the lower shelves in the greenhouse together with Phals.

If that were my plant I would enjoy the flowers and also move the plant to a shadier location and let the new growth hopefully be fine.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks RUK, I will certainly enjoy the flowers from this rascal, and then take your advice and bring it into an area where it gets less light. Most grateful for your input.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.