Professional Wood Re-Finishing HELP

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

About 7 years ago I took this door from a lumber floor sample. They said it was Brazilian Mahogany. It had white oak stain on it. I stripped it down and restained it Colonial Maple (minwax) to match all the interior doors and woodwork in the house.

3 years ago this man sold his house with salvage rights (buyer was tearing it down) My client removed everything that was salvagable for his new house, now in process of being built, including this front door.

My mission, which I evidently have already accepted since they are in my gym, is to stain the interior surfaces of the existing door, 2 sidelights and a transom light to Colonial Maple. To make things a little easier on myself, I have told him, I will make the exterior surfaces Red Mahogany.

My dilemma, he did not consult with me when he ordered the new sidelights and transom and he did not get Brazilian Mahogany. Brazilian Mahogany is a much lighter wood than the traditional "American?" mahogany.

Any ideas on how to stain the new interior surfaces light enough to then stain the colonial maple to match the existing wood?

The picture of the door is pretty true to color.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!