Two new phalenopsis in my house...

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

This one won an international award a few years back.
MC 432 DTPS. Fure Shing Pretty Lover AM/AOS

This message was edited Mar 6, 2005 8:05 PM

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

This one can be a white flower with a single spot per petal or go to this kind of marking...all on the same plant. I love the variability.

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

The award winning beauty is perfection in shape and pattern. Very pleasing to the eye.
The blotchy one is certainly very interesting.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

we have an orchid grower sharing a greenhouse with us at work..I can never decide which ones I want!he has soooo many.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lucky you!! Take one of each :-)

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The blotchy one is a colour combo I'm seeing poping up more than ever. It is a fairly recent development in phal colour. The blotchy one actually has a very good form. The striped one is wonderful.

The cheap ones available at local home depots and the like rarely have that perfect round shape. Look at this pic for example. It's one of the cheapies I got a few years ago. Nice striped pattern but the lateral petals (two side petals) are not as round or wide top-to-bottom as in awarded plants...also a wide gap that exposes the dorsal sepal (uppermost 'petal'). According to phal judges, the lateral petals should nearly touch, hiding most except the tip of the dorsal sepal and even obscuring most of the lateral sepals. Mind you, one man's meat.....

Novelty type phals (small-flowered reds, oranges, heavy spotted yellows) do not have to follow these rules as stringently as for the large-flowered whites, pinks and stripes.

Again, compare the shape of this phal to that of the award winning phal posted by eclipse.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

well said!!!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Todd - that's very interesting. Now I know what to look for in the more expensive ones. Most of mine are the cheapies and I really like the small flowered ones better. Becky

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.