Edging for Lasagna Gardening

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I don't think this issue has been addressed.

I develop my flower beds by using the Lasagna method. I love it and have used it for 3 years. My problem comes from the grass that borders the bed. I have been lifting (shoveling) the grass and placing stones for the border or I use Round-Up.

If I do not do this the grass sneaks in, especially the clover runners. Any thoughts on this problem?
Thanks, Linda

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I love the Lasagna method too. It would seem that you need a vertical barrier around the edge of your bed just inside your rocks protruding above the ground perhaps an inch or two and buried 6 to 12 " to stop any stoloniferous invasion. This method on a larger scale works for bamboo--although you have to check every once in a while for escapees. I am not sure of the exact depth or above ground height. Perhaps you could research this. Butting your stones against it would allow mowing if they are flat or if they are just a break for the border, you could even place the barrier outside them. We use copper for bamboo, but any heavy duty plastic etc should work and be almost invisible. Good Luck.

Frederick, MD

okay, you got me...what is the lasagna method?
I too fight the battle with edging and have been wondering for years if someone out there doesn't have a solution I don't know about. I have a huge number of linear feet to worry about and anything labor intensive simply won't work for me. You know why rocks don't work, that darn grass is always sneaking across and the mower blade is a-clangin'. I prefer not to use round-up. Last summer I started a lot of different ground covers on my edges. My idea is that if I can get them going, I can forgo mulching along the edges and perhaps it can even fill in the spaces between my distant perennials. It will be so low and so tough I can run the mower tire right over it on one side, give it a bit of a haircut and it will all grow back just fine. Also, I am especially fond of the succulent groundcovers since they shouldn't compete with my other plants for water. They are very aggressive, which is a mixed blessing. They do spread quickly so I can see if it's going to work, however, I may end up regretting it if they start to choke out things. Okay, this is my theory. Ever tried anything like this? This year will be the big test for me!

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/471185/ has info on the lasagna gardening.
I have tried blue star creeper but the clover/grass could care less that it is thereLOL
I am trying variegated lirope now. Jury is still out.
Linda

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Linda :) My DH and I are renting a bed edger from a rental company this weekend to put a "groove" of sorts around the perimeter of our beds. Then, we'll insert sturdy landscape edging (plastic, rubber) into the groove as a permanent barrier to prevent the grass from encroaching. I love the look of those clean, curvy lines around plant beds... that's why we're doing it :) BTW, the bed edger (different than a grass edger) is about $50 for a day's rental. Hope this helps!!!

Hugs :)

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Sound like a good idea renting an edger. Now what is a good barrier that is reasonable in price for large projects.

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello,

I have been using the lasagna method for sometime both on a large and small scale for vegetables, flowers and herbs. It's been great but I had the same problem and solved it two different ways.

The solution for the flower beds is the one above that hugahosta is using. The large beds I boxed in with 2x8 treated lumber because this is a much larger investment. The flower beds do great with the landscape edging.

Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.