Help guys I need advice on heating my hoophouse

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I have some tomatoes and some brugs. Built a little hoophouse and had a problem with electricty on a extension plug kicking off the other day. I purchased a temp alarm and now I am rethinking my heating problem. Folks on brug forum are trying to advice - any input from you greenhouse folks.

Is there a negative effect on plants if using a kerosene heater at night.
I got my temp alarm. I have some lights and a small pelonis electric heater in my hoop house. Our outside temp was 31 this morning at 5 am. Temp in greenhouse 35. So I went down and turned the heater up a bit but I am a little concerned about overloading a circuit as little heaters often use more energy than we think.

My dad has a kerosene heater (the reg kerosene kind) that I can borrow but my hubby and I thought at first that would be too much heat. What do y'all think? My hoophouse is made with ordinary 4 mil plastic and is about 6 x 8 x 6 feet high.

My concerns are:
1) all K heaters give off some fumes. Will this hurt my plants?
2) on its lowest setting with the heater be likely to get too hot ? ( I do have a temp alarm.
3) is cost efficiency comparable considering I only need heat from about 5 PM till 9 am and I am now running the little electric heater and 2 75watt lights.

charlotte

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Get a heavy extention cord, something a contractor would use. 14 gauge wire. A small cord will heat up & use more electricity than the heater will.
The farther you have to go with the cord the heavier it should be. Then the thing keep it as short as possible, & don't coil up the extra, that creates a magnetic field which also isn't good.
Good luck !
Bernie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

charlotte, an small electric heater should keep your plants alive in a small space like that but it needs to be draft-free. Also, like Bernie says, use a good extension cord. The further the distance from the source of power the bigger the cord you need. OR, if your heater has an automatic cutoff then it may have cut off due to excessive heat in the hoop house as a safety factor.

Concerns...yes, K heaters give off fumes but usually only at start up and shut down. I used one as a back up in my first ghouse..it tended to burn up the oxygen in there there if the place was too airtight. As for the electric heater, not sure how small it is. Does it turn it self off and on as needed (thermostat?). If so, in the area you are in you may get by with it just fine.
Comparing costs (K. vs. Electric) will depend on how much you want out of them.

The two light bulbs are probably not necessary (and will also inhibit plant growth if left on all nite, nite after nite).

Hope you can keep your plants growing! Make them happy!

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Thank you. My little pelonis disc furnace is old but it still works. It does have a thermostat setting I will try to use that. I am using the 12 G cord on the little heater now so that should be fine.
thanks for your advise. someday I hope to have a "real" greenhouse and then you will be seeing more of me :)
charlotte

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I bet your hoop house will bring you lots of fun, good plants, and good benefits! Enjoy it to the max, Charlotte!

Keep us posted on how things are doing for ya!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.