Weigela. How do you say it?

North Augusta, SC(Zone 8a)

Weigela.
According to the plantfiles, it's pronounced (why-GAY-luh). But the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary "audio" says it as (Why-GEE-Luh) Which is correct?
Alice

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Fine Gardening magazine agrees with Merriam-Webster.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2005 8:11 PM

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

TomAtoe.....tomAHtoe.....I think it usually depends where (and from whom) you learn your horticultural Latin. I say "LYRE-ee-ope" and one of my landscapers says "Lyre-ee-O-PEE" (for Liriope, obviously). As long as we spell it right we're ok methinks!
K :~D

Greenback, TN

is it why jee la or why gee la?

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I pronounce it why-jee-la....right or wrong...that's how it comes out of my mouth! Sunset Magazine has a great CD with botanical plants and info including pronounciations. I wonder if the Library has it?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Weigela was named after a German botanist, so it should be pronounced VIE-GEE-LA

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Ah ha! No wonder I could never make sense of the "Latin." It's German! (I just call mine Judy (is that joo-dee or yoo-dee?)

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

That's very funny....kinda like when I took French in High School.....fresh from Son's of Norway summer Norwegian Language Camp.....I pronounced all the French words with a Norwegian accent. Drove my French teacher batty....but of course that was half the fun!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i always said wiggleeaa

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Works for me NMartha!

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I called it "that bush with the weird name that I can't say" for years. LOL I just heard Paul James say it again yesterday and he pronounced it "wy-gee-luh"

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Kachinagirl, that's funny about the two pronunciations for liriope. I pronounce it a third way - li-ree-ope, with the emphasis on the li (short i sound). lol

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Hey Pins! I wonder how many other pronunciations there are for that plant...and seriously, that's a pretty simple Latin name! There are much, much more difficult ones! Basically, I do the same with Latin as what my Pastor says to do when you come across a difficult-to-pronounce word in the Bible.....say it with authority and everyone will think you know what you're doing! LOL

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Love it!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Glad I'm not the only one who's pondered that question. I've recently changed to wy-jella but forget why. I think just knowing the name is more important than pronunciation / enunciation. Seems like most of the local visitor's eye's start going counter-clockwise when I use (or try to use) the latin names.

Alexander "Lysmachia": I like this variegated plant but argued with myself over pronunciation. Budweiser settled the argument one fine afternoon and I lovingly refer to it as 'Lick my smack'.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

It's Why- GEE-luh to me

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

It's Why- GEE-luh to me too me too

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Maybe this shold be one of those daily DG vote items; which will then set the standard for the world of plant latin lovers!

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

Uhhhh...however it's correctly pronounced, I wish mine would start budding out or something. I planted it in the fall and it looks deader'n a doornail...or should I say 'deader than a doornail'....???

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Just what is a doornail, anyway? I can't find a one in mine. lol

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Mine hasn't leafed either. Can't recall for sure, but I think they are late to bud out.

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

Whew, what a relief! Thanks for the reassurance. Well pins, I'm not exactly sure what it is, but thank goodness it's dead, right? Hehehe.

Lordsburg, NM(Zone 7b)

I knnow the "Code of Zoological Nomenclature " has a pronounciation guide and I believe the "Botanical Code" has one too - not sure, been years since I refered to the literature. These days I just "wing it"

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Wye-geel-ya and Li RYE opee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.