Some new blossoms

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

As a bit of a neophyte I'm really excited about the first blooms of spring in my small greenhouse.

Vuylstekeara, var 'Aloha Passion'

I'm not a species snob, some intergenerics are just too beautiful to pass up....lol.

A toast to marrying one's cousin, good thing orchids don't suffer from tooth loss.

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Maxillaria curtipis... A reason for loving species orchids

Mid-elevation, Mexico

Thumbnail by drdon
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Is your maxillaria fragrant? Many of them are. I'm a firm lover of all Oncidium alliance orchids, species or complex hybrids. Lovely plants.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Hiya Todd_Boland,

No fragrance, but I am jazzed about the flower. I was told by the person who sent it to me that it was a dazzler, he wasn't wrong. I to am a big fan of New World orchids. My Lemboglossum (Odontoglossum) rossii is now really sending out some heavy duty roots and I'm hoping for a late spring, early summer bloom. I've now got a spike starting on my Encyclia vetillina. When it blooms I will be very excited. I really dig this species thing. Do you collect any Cattleya alliance plants?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I have no cattleya allinace orchids at all! I used to have many but I had an outbeak of virus and had to toss them all. I don't have enough sun to keep them happy anyway. I stick mostly to Oncidium alliance with a few Phals and Paphs

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't grow orchids as a rule but Lowes was having a clearance on some Oncidiums for 3.00 each so not being one to pass up a good deal, I bought like 8-10 of them. I traded a bunch but did keep 3 just to see what I could do with them. Well, I repotted them in some orchid bark stuff and basically put them off to the side of the driveway which is the only place I have any shade. I haven't done anything except water them with the reclaimed water when I water everything else. Well I came home from work tonight and was watering when I saw something yellow peeking out. I got closer to see what it was and lo and behold!

Thumbnail by budgielover
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I wish I lived in Florida!!!!

Your orchids are beautiful Drdon, I especially like the first one depicted. I'm a fan of big and colorful I guess!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Budgielover, your orchid is some sort of Brassia hybrid, but the flowers are upside-down! Very strange. $3 orchids......I'd buy 8-10 at that price!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Budgielover
is this maybe the same plant? ( not upside down)
http://kammlott.net/August2004/BRSDMShootingstarMustard.jpg

Brsdm Shooting Star 'Mustard'

Last winter ( ?) I walked into Metropolitan Plant Exchange ( we have a few of these large stores around here with lots of nice plants to buy) and they were selling a whole corner of different Brassia x Oncidium (and Miltonia) hybrids, they were just green healthy plants (walking out of their pots) without buds or flowers and very cheap too. I picked up a few different ones, repotted them and they flowered the next summer. I kept ths one.
Aren't orchids fun?

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

RUK,
It looks the same to me. Could be the blooms are upside down because it had fallen over and I didn't notice until I say the bloom because it's in amongst alot of other potted plants. Shame on me
When it's light out, I'll go see what the tag says.
Jan...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.