Fertilization question

Dataw Island, SC(Zone 8b)

I have a Bonsai schefflera which I purchased in Hawaii about 5 years ago. It is supposed to be about 80 years old (I will post a picture soon). It lives outside and has been doing well until the last month or so. Since then, it suffered aphids (treated and gone now), sooty mold (treated and gone now)
and some modest leaf loss and yellowing. It has not been fertilized in a very long time and I wonder if that has rendered it more vulnerable to pests, etc. My question is: What composition of fertilizer is best and how often should it be applied? Thanks.

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

I use a little Miracle-Grow three or four times a year per directions.
http://www.miraclegro.com/

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm with Ulrich- MG has worked for us and doesnt seem to burn the plants.
I'd mix up a batch in a tub and set the plant in it. Let it get throughly soaked- then take it out and let it drain.

That's what we do at work and it does the job splendidly. So far we havent had any problems with salt build up because we water from the top daily.

Waiting axiously for that picture!
I keep meaning to get some shots of the ones at work but never seem to have the time.

Here are some pictures. Poor thing never looked worse!

Thumbnail by mrsmoose

As you can see, it's too big to water from the bottom. Takes several people to even move it.

Thumbnail by mrsmoose

Note it is not in a traditional pot. It is "bound" to a circular platform.

Thumbnail by mrsmoose

That does not look too bad to me healthwise, still having plenty of green leaves. It is a bit busy for a bonsai, though, IMHO.
With a bit of plant food and a pair of sharp snippers you'll have a fine-looking specimen there.

Really! That's great news. What does IMHO mean? Thanks for your in-put and advice.

In My Humble Opinion, LOL
http://www.netlingo.com/searchaction.cfm?wordsearch=asit&CFID=5575267&CFTOKEN=25451904

WOW! What a great link. You've made me a modern girl!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.