HGTV Articles

Wauconda, IL

Finally

http://tinyurl.com/4dyna

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Very nice and about time!! Thanks for posting the link.

Impressive!

They missed Buckthorn (Rhamnus catartica, R. frangula, etc), Calleryana Pears (Bradford, Cleveland Select, Redspire, and the 40 other white flowering "speciman" Calleryana pear sultivars that all freely hybridize being sold at Lowes, Home Depot, and WalMarts across the nation), water hyacinth, and a few other nastiest of the nasties but overall... it was great to see a list such as that coming from HG tv.

Impressive, very impressive.

Wauconda, IL

For them to even acknowledge that there are plants that cause big problems is a small step in the right direction. The HGTV website is seen by lots of people.

Why plant burning bush? Fothergilla Gardenii gives awesome fall colour, much better than burning bush...and it's native. AND it also has large, honey-scented white blossoms in Spring. It's not going to take over the local woodland, either.

I can run to the local Lowe's or Home Depot or Wally-Box and easily buy burning bush...you won't find Fothergilla Gardenii at these places, though. A person would probably have to go to the local ma & pa nursery to find it...which takes some effort. People are so pressed and stressed for time these days, I can understand why some take the easy way out. April.

I distinctly recall a few programs in which English Ivy was promoted. And then there was the showcasing of the Lily Of The Valley and Burning Bushes. I had to shut the tv off. I've seen them promote other plants that were equally capable of wreaking havoc in the environment. I had stopped watching their program because of this. Maybe it is time to check them out again because I would have to agree that for them to even acknowledge there are "concerns" out there, was a big step in the right direction.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

A good thing for sure. Still don't like HGTV. Not into curtains! LOL

Wauconda, IL

I loved HGTV, and I miss it desperately! April

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thats cuz you're a girl.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

oh my, sexism rears it's ugly head! hehehehe. HGTV isn't anymore for girls than Bravo is for gay guys or the History channel for WWII addicts or Spike for men, it just SEEMS that way!

I was most appreciative of the links at the end of the article - very good information there.

Wauconda, IL

My very favourite HGTV show was a show called "American Masters." It was all about artisans in various fields...ceramics, wood-working, metal-working, etc. That is the show I miss most! April

Yes, I remember the American Masters. I recall a metal worker who made the most beautiful garden gates and fireplace screens. Those people were gifted. Is that still available on HGTV?

Wauconda, IL

Yes, it is, Equil. when we are able to afford "real" cable again, I will make sure the package includes HGTV, if only for that show! April

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.