soybeans

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Do you grow these the same as other beans? I know they need to be scarified - any other tips???

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Are you dealing with Edamame or field soybeans. I have not grown Edamame (vegetable soybean) but the field beans have about the same cultural requirements as bush type P. vulguris grown as a dried bean. Don't know about the scarification, we just poured the cleaned beans into the planters. There is an Edamame web site http://www.edamame.wsu.edu/index.htm

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I grow them just for myself for edamame and the only difference is I make succession plantings about a week apart. Soybeans mature their crop all at once and then stop, so I spread out production not have more than I need at one time.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I have no idea what these are - the envelope came in a seed swap, and just say "Soybeans".

I have taken 3 seeds, scored them, and soaked them in a weak peroxide hand hot water solution. Guess I'll just see what happens.

Yuska - how many do you plant for yourself?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I usually plant about 12-15 seeds per week. Each plant will have a cluster of pods, so I can have my "fix" of edamame. Many years ago as a teenager on the farm, my mother grew "edible soybeans" a couple of years. I really liked the taste and wanted to keep growing them, but we didn't know at that time that there was an easy way to shell them. Straight from the bush, the pods are very hard to shell, and to get a large enough supply for a supper dish for five people took too much time and very sore fingers right in the midst of canning season. The edamame system places the green pods in a steamer for a few minutes - just until the pod begin to soften ever so slightly. When the cool enough to be handled the pod will pop right open with pressure between thumb and forefinger. They are then eaten at that stage, although they could also be cooked further, much in the manner of field peas. Sometimes I drizzle them with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic salt. Even better than popcorn! And very nutritous as well. With all of the amino acids present, they are one of the few complete proteins in the vegetable kindom.

I have grown the variety Envy, and currently am using Bucker's Favorite. Toward the end of the season I plant a full bed and allow the pods to develop to the dry stage so that I'll have a seed supply for the following year.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Do you score them and soak them before planting them? How long does germination take? Days to maturity? Sorry for all the questions, I have a feeling I'm starting too early...

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

No prior soaking or scoring, but definitely need warm weather or at least warmed up soil. Mid-April is as early as I've ever started here, mainly to be sure that nighttime soil temps are warm enough. The plants start emerging in about a week, and reach eating stage in about 75-80 days. If you want to grow all of your crop in one planting, they can be frozen for later cooking. The steaming of the pods has a blanching effect. I'd suggest you just grow those 3 seeds in a pot indoors. The plants don't grow very tall or send out runners. Botanically, they are Glycine, but have about the same cultural needs as snap beans (Phaseolus) or field peas (Vigna).

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you SO much for all the info. I put them into starter pots last night in the sunroom. I'm sure they will do very well in there with the herbs and tomatoes!

Can't wait to see how they turn out! I LOVE edamame at the restaurants. Sure hope that's the type of soybean I have. Won't this be exciting???

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

where did you get the seeds?

why do you use peroxide?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I got the seeds in a seed swap. No info, just an envelope marked "soybeans".

The peroxide is supposed to kill off any bacteria. If you are soaking for longer that a day, the peroxide only goes in for the first day, then you replace it with straight water, hand hot, changed daily.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Soybeans are also used for tempeh and miso, and many other dishes as full protein for meatless meals.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oh, boy! I can see this will be a nice addition to my garden if i can get it to grow well!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

soybeans are also use in making tufo

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

That's right. Known as bean curd, tofu is the main protein source for many people who choose not to eat meat, and it is also used by most everyone in stir fry dishes, salads, and is very versatile. Actually, when we consider that nearly all soybean products available commercially are now made from genetically altered seeds, some of us wish we could grow all of our soya needs. Don't want to get into a wrangle about the whole GMO debate, but suffice it to say that soybeans are a vital part of the food supply. Soy flour is useful in baking, and soy milk is available.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.