March 1st

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

March has come in like a calm but present lion. It is cold-low 20s-with the wind out of the N/NW. No moisture tho. I have so many plans for spring work but it is on hold for the time being.

We are getting so many eggs now and I don't have the steady outlet for all of them. So this morning I scrambled a couple dozen for the dogs. As soon as they cool I'll serve them. The reason we don't have success selling them is the variety we have. Duck, goose, and banty. I do well to give them away most of the time. Holly, Kyle, and Skyler are all allergic to eggs so my plans to supply them with eggs hasn't come to pass. I did give away about 12 dozen a week or so ago to 2 different families. The birds are busy looking for worms and other bugs every day but days like today they don't find many because the crust of the soil is frozen solid.

The wild birds are eating many more sunflower seeds these days. I have to refill the feeders much more often than I did during the winter. I guess the natural sources of food for them is nearly exhausted. The poor little robins that came back a couple weeks ago made a bad mistake and are now having trouble findling enough food to stay alive.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!