Does your garden art deter pesty critters in your garden?

Decatur, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi all,
I'm really enjoying this forum and looking at all your garden art. One thing that I've been lacking in our garden is the garden art mainly because DH & I don't agree about what to put in our garden. Everytime I like something, he doesn't. Most of the time he says it will make our yard look trashy. The cement garden statues are too pricey for his liking so all I've managed to do was buy large rocks & painted them. One I painted his college logo & our last name, the second I painted some flowers & bugs & wrote Welcome, the third I painted the American flag and is in the photo below. I was surprised that he liked them and didn't complain. Last year I bought some cute little metal butterflies that had a tiny gazing ball in them. I placed them all around the yard and I thought they looked cute. Well after the varnish wore off the plastic gazing ball & the metal rusted, DH complained they looked trashy & to his luck, the strong wind storms we had blew them away. I guess mainly he always complains about what the things cost. To him they are too expensive & not a real necessity. I on the other hand enjoy looking at others garden art because it reflects their personalities and think they are fun & neat to have.

OK so here is a question for you all. Have any of you noticed that after you put up your garden art, the critters have left the plants in that area alone? I was wondering if certain things could deter critters from munching on your plants. For instance, we have rabbits that love to chomp on our bushes. Our two red leaf plums & barberry bushes have been gnawed on severely and I've been thinking of buying a life size cement fox, painting it so it looks like a real fox sitting there but was wondering if you all thought this would work? Alright, so I am also looking for a good excuse to give DH for helping me convince him. TIA for your input,

Gemila

P.S. Just for the record, my DH is definately a keeper & I wouldn't think of getting rid of him. LOL! just that we have a difference of opinions when it comes to landscaping & I really wasn't complaining, just explaining how it is for us. ;)

Thumbnail by Gemila
This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!