Natural Control of Japanese Beetles

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I came across the attached thread while searching DG for natural JB controls. There are some very interesting ideas about Egyptian Onions and garlic as deterents. Any more info on these methods?

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/254650/

While there are plenty of threads on DG regarding chemical control of these pests, there are surprisingly few (that I could locate, anyway) that address "natural" means of control. I know there was also a thread Dave posted about 4 O' Clocks being good poisonous "bait" for the beetles, but one of the reasons I'm avoiding chemical poisons is that I have 3 small children... 4 O' Clocks won't work well in my yard.

I have 2 plums and I would really, really love to plant a cherry this spring. BUT, I want to have a reasonably good plan of action ready for when the beetles come... and come they will.

Thanks!
Jacci (Hugs)

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

The reason that Japanese beetles are such a problem is that there are no natural controls for an insect that is not a native species.While there are some plants that they don't particularly like, they are going to ignore that plant but will infest the one they like right next to it.If you want to grow only Egyptian Onion, that's your choice. There are lots of people out there who will be glad to take your money or your trust to get you to use their 'miracle solution' but the truth of the matter is that the only control other than poisons to kill the beetles or poisons or microbes(milky spore) to kill the grubs the only choice you have is hand picking and that is a constant and losing prospect. Don't use the lures and traps. All they do is attract thousands more to your yard.
Some of the treatments for grubs are not too bad. They are applied to the soil and will break down after a few weeks. They need to be applied at the proper time or they are useless. Check with your local Cooperative Extension Office to see what product they recommend for your situation. Jessamine

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

We had a major problem with JBs. It seemed like they were attacking everything, but especially my wife's hibiscus. I finally got traps, ( against much advice), and they work,(for me anyway). We did have a problem at first, but I soon learned to place them a minimum of 40 feet away from whatever you're protecting. Our major problem now is that during the height of the season I have to empty the bags 2 to 4 times a day. After telling one of the gentlemen that adviced me against traps that they worked, he told me," I hung one in every fruit tree I have and they didn't help any". So that may be a lot of peoples problem. As far as the milky spores, I would really love to use them , but we have to large an area for the cost that I found for the product. I also took into consideration that if I did spend that much, how could I talk my neighbors into doing the same. I would love to get anyones input on other ways to get rid of them. PS. One of my size 12's works great but I don't have that much time or that many pr's of boots.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2005 9:44 PM

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, chili :) I'm bound and determined to not go chemical. It would defeat the whole purpose of my plantings! Surely there's a way around it. Part of my solution, I'm afraid to say, is getting rid of my plums. Ugh. I sure mischose when I picked those trees. I wasn't on DG at the time to get such great advice, for one :) So, we're digging up the plums. But, the cherry I want. So, I'll still have to contend with the beetles in one way or the other.

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

The Milky Spore has the advantage that when it is properly applied it continues to spread, year after year. You can encourage the spread by digging up a shovelfull of dirt that has been treated and spreading it elsewhere. Several years ago there was a problem where the spore was dead on the shelves. Haven't heard anything else negative. Jessamine

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

4 o clocks. there are many discussions here on dg about japanese beetles and 4 o clocks.

as long as i have 4 o clocks my other plants get left alone. do a search here on daves and see all the discussions on them.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, izmadi :) But, for reasons mentioned in the first post, doesn't look like those plants will work in my space :)

Wauconda, IL

The problem with milky spore is that it kills all grubs...even some nice ones. Like fire-flys. I noticed that the second I planted rose-bushes...I had JB. So, I got rid of the roses. No great loss, as I think they're a pain in the fanny, anyway.

I was the natural control for the JB, but I don't have a lot of land to patrol, either. april

I'd second what was said by dodecatheon about milky spore as it is truly non discriminatory.

Wanna way to kill two birds with one stone? Consider removing Buckthorn from your personal property and volunteering to remove it from public land if at all possible. Here’s why-

The nuisance ladybugs are an exotic species, Harmonia axyridis. I believe they were brought in as a biological control in the early 1900’s to help control some tree pests.
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/Entomology/courses/en507/papers_2001/mannix.htm

There is a non native aphid out there in abundance, the Aphis nasturtii (Buckthorn Aphid). This exotic aphid is destroying potato crops. It is my understanding, this aphid is now a major portion of the Asian ladybeetle’s diet. The aphid overwinters on buckthorn. It would be my suggestion to get rid of any buckthorn you can get your hands on. Buckthorn is an exotic invasive anyway and is out competing native flora and destroying forest understories.

Perhaps I am oversimplifying the situation for the sake of illustration but…
If we collectively eliminate the over wintering habitat of the Aphis nasturtii (Buckthorn Aphid), which is Rhamnus (Buckthorn), this aphid species will not enjoy the same survival rate as in subsequent years. This would result in less chemicals used to control the destruction of our potato crops. This would also result in a decreased food source for the Harmonia axyridis (Asian Ladybeetle) which in turn would substantially reduce its numbers thus restoring balance.
http://collections.ic.gc.ca/potato/scitech/a_buckthorn.asp

Do not feel bad about eradicating buckthorn as it is the direction we need to go anyway-
http://f00.middlebury.edu/BI140A/Student%20Projects/buckthorn_report.html

Gosh I hated being plagued by the non native Asian ladybeetles. My home is pretty well sealed off yet we have one bathroom that they somehow managed to get into and I swear we could hear crunching sounds when we walked in there particularly in the fall. I suck them up with a vacuum. I had a butterfly house that housed everything but butterflies. I found these tan Asian Ladybeetles in that butterfly house by the thousands. I dumped them in the garbage can and was able to go back a few times to "empty" the contents. They seem to congregate in fall and they gravitate to the same places for some reason. Makes them all the easier to get if you know where they are going. The Japanese LadyBeetle traps sold at Lowes, HD, and Menards really do work if strategically placed and maintained.

Many private citizens (myself included) and communities began aggressively eradicating buckthorn in the very recent past. I hope it continues as there has been a marked reduction in the Japanese Beetle population in my area.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info :) I THINK the shrub is a buckthorn, it was planted by the builders. I've tried to ID it from info online and as far as I can tell it is not the invasive "type". Not my fave shrub, though, so we'll consider it.

I think I've just basically decided to nix the plums and choose something other than cherry. Avoiding their fave plants might help a bit :)

Sorry, a little pressed for time, I'll write more soon :)

Hugs :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.