Eagle on Nest - Eggs About to Hatch

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

I find this exciting so I don't want any interested parties to miss the event. This is a live cam shot from Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge. I posted the URL on another thread but here it is again .... I check out the site every couple of hours.

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/camhtm2.html

Nest Update - 02/27/05: The eggs were born on January 25, 28, and 31 and have a 32-36 day incubation period, so we are at the beginning of the possible hatching season. The parents will tend the eggs as long as they believe they are fertile.

This is one of the photos on display at the site ....

Edited to change the new link to the Eagle Cam since they assigned the old link to the Osprey Cam.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2005 11:04 PM

Thumbnail by linthicum
Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

awsome! How did you get the live cam to the location? That would be a fasinating site to watch. Enjoy, and thanks for sharing it! Jill

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I just looked at the web cam and the Eagle was on the nest! It refreshed and she was gone and there were the three eggs! How cool!!!!
Pati

Jill, I am just a viewer (internet) like you. I have no idea where the nest (or cam) is located on the refuge. When visiting the Refuge, they are reluctant to tell visitors (understandably so) where the eagle nests are, especially during the nesting period. Unless the eggs are sterile they should hatch in the next few days.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This is so neat!! He's in the nest now and she just flew away...you can see all the eggs!
ETS - thanks for this link...I opened it when I got to work this morning and I looked at it off and on all day and now it's open at home to check when I can
She must have been stretching her wings because she's back after only a moment. Can't wait to see the babies!

This message was edited Mar 1, 2005 5:53 PM

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

lol! It would have helped if I'd read your thread better, I was merely fasinated with the pic!
I'll be watching too now that I know I can, Fasinating~! thanks linthicum

Jill

Floridian, just curious, how do you tell the male bald eagle from the female ? I also would have expected the eggs to be a little bigger ??? - at least the size of a chicken egg.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Actually I can't tell the difference but in most cases the female is on the nest mostly and the male feeds her. This is true of the owls I've watched and the Ospreys. Besides you have to give a him and her tag in a sentence like I used LOL The bird that flew in was only there during 'her' absence then 'he' was gone again. Clear?? Ü

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

At about 3:30pm today, one of the eggs hatched.

That is great news. Looking forward to hearing that the other two (2) eggs have hatched successfully.
I just might get to see that baby chick flying around Blackwater someday since I only live about 1 1/2 hours away.

They are having their 5th Annual Eagle Festival on Saturday, March 12th. The Schedule of Activities looks very interesting.

http://blackwater.fws.gov/festival.html

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Looks like a lot of interesting stuff they are having, well worth the drive for you Linthicum. Lots of birds on display. Can wait to see your pics if you go.. George

We have a second chick - one to go ..... The site has found a new internet service provider and the cam pics are back.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Caledonia, MN

How many babies will they nourish? Is anything done for a "spare" chick?

The following site tells you just about all there is to know on the Bald Eagle .... Click on "Nesting and Young" at the bottom of the home page.

http://www.baldeagleinfo.com/index.html

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

linthicum, thanks so much for the links to the hatching bald eagles.

We have a webcam setup in Harrisburg, Pa. for a peregrine falcon nest site that they have used for the past 5 or 6 years. She lost her mate last year but reports are she found a new one. I will go thru the Sunday paper to get a link. The rascal lives on a building ledge in downtown Harrisburg and eats mice and pigeons.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

linthicum, thanks so much for the link. Very interesting. The babies look so tiny, but I expect they grow fast. I went for a short drive this afternoon, got really tired of transplanting seedlings, so took a little time off. Saw several hawks, tried to get a picture but I was too slow. Did get this shot of an eagle on power pole. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive

se_eds, we have had a similar situation here in Baltimore for quite a few years on the old U.S. F. & G. Building, now the Legg Mason Building (near the Inner Harbor). If you come across the Harrisburg link, please post it. I assume the building is near Front Street.

rutholive, it looks like an immature bald eagle ??? Nice clear shot ....

Another interesting webcam setup is at:

http://www.wildcam.com/

I have also been following the webcam in South Africa.... but for a good part of our day, it is dark in South Africa.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm so thrilled to be able to see this, linthicum --- thanks again for giving the link, I've not seen the 3rd yet but maybe tomorrow 1st thing in the morning she'll move enough for me to see the new little one..

The third and final egg has hatched. This is the photo of the newly hatched chick that they have posted on the site. As they stated, it is very small. The biggest threat to the latest chick will come from the other, bigger eaglets.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

this Eagle cam is so neat
my Grand daughters love it
i liked some of the shots where the male had brought dinner
a cpl picts with fresh fish & a cpl of ducks

Dick

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I tried the link to the Falcon page Will try to paste it here.http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/falcon/

It worked but didn't turn blue. Evidently there is no nest yet but she has found a new mate.

Enjoy.

se_eds, thanks .... I have tried to paste the link below ...

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/falcon/

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Howdy Se_eds ....

I think ya gotta make sure .. that there's a 'space' at each/both ends of the link!! I do believe your http .. started out, right next to a period (.) ...

Heck, try it again .. and see if 'shows up' correctly for ya Seeds!! (*hee*) Took me a while to get it all down pat ! (Heck, and still flub up when I least spect it, too!) .. LOL ..

Example ONLY ! ! ! > Hey folks, take a look at this {non-functional} site I found http://www.shoeflypie.org

* The link .. will appear within [brackets] ... after it's correctly posted and linked ...

- Magpye

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks linthicum and Magpye, still have lots to learn about this computer. This old lady needs help now and then. But I am having fun learning!

Will the eagle web cam continue to run while the chicks are being raised and banded? I know the site in Harrisburg that tracks the peregrine falcons continues until they are fledged.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I'm concerned. Is the nest empty? I just got a chance to check on it and it appears that the whole family is gone?

Thumbnail by Joan
Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

I think they just moved further from the trunk. Sometimes you can see her beak at about the "one o'clock" area in the picture. I'm waiting for the chicks to get bigger. I figure they'll be all over the nest then. - Julie

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I'm catching glimpses of Mama today. I wish the webcam was positioned more on the nest so we could see the babies.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

It looks like Mama has them all tucked in for the night. What a great site!

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

There's a fish there!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Darn, I must have missed the fish

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Me too, drar!

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

It wasn't there long. The next 30 sec. refresh, and - poof - it was gone!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Wish that camera was further away from the tree.

John

Here is a photo that they posted today which shows that the three eaglets are still there. Unfortunately, the wind last week caused the camera to shift and it is currently a too sensitive situation for them to try to go up and correct the camera position. Once the eaglets get a little bigger, we may see them more frequently, as they move around the nest.

I did go to the Eagle Fest on Saturday at Blackwater. Saw quite a few eagles from a distance. Some Osprey have recently arrived, also, and will be nesting soon. I'll post some pics a little later.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks for posting that pic, linthicum!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Linthicum, glad to see they are still there.

I mentioned earlier today that I attended the 5th Annual Eagle Fest at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge on Saturday. This is the best and closest photo I was able to get of an Eagle all day long ... lol.

Thumbnail by linthicum

As we were leaving the Eagle Fest, we observed this Eagle in an adjacent field.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm not sure thats even an eagle.

Driving around Blackwater, we passed this Screech Owl in a Wood Duck nesting box. He was enjoying the sun shining on him and didn't seem to be bothered by our presence. This was a first for me.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.