Worm bin getting buggy

Westerville, OH(Zone 6a)

A few months ago I started a red-wiggler worm composting bin in the basement to compost our table scraps in the winter. So far so good, but I am starting to notice an increasing number of bugs on and around the bin. Assuming this is not normal, what am I doing wrong? What can I do to eliminate the bugs that are there already and prevent them from coming back again?

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

Are these fruit flies? Then it's normal. They don't do anything harmful, just annoying.
Have you been burying the food under some bedding material? You should do this because suppsedly the flies can't burrow or dig, so they will not be able to lay their eggs on the food scraps if the food is under other stuff. You could try to get some sort of bottle with a lid, and poke a tiny hole in the top, fill it with a little fruit juice. The fruit flies will be attracted to it, and should not be able to fly back out because the hole is so small, and this is a sort of trap for the existing flies. I haven't tried it, but I read that it works.
I just avoid putting friut in mine, but I've also heard that some people microwave any friut a little so that the eggs die...
Are there other bugs you are noticing?
-Mara

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Those are good tips, Mara. Burying the food is probably the best way to keep bugs/flies etc at bay. Also, depending on what type of bin you use, YardenMan, you could make a top out of window screen and put over it.

Too much moisture seems to attract flies/knats, etc, too.

Mara, I just might try the bottle bug trap, just for fun!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.