CLOSED: Who is this?

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Flies around. Crane fly?

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

monterey,

Not sure what that is; but, don't think it is a Crane Fly.

The Crane Flies I'm familiar with around here around here have a more pointed snout, pretty different shaped head, and their antennae are in a different place.

They are slow fliers and have long fragile legs.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TURF/PESTS/incrane.html

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/crane_fly.htm

Lots of info here:

http://whatcom.wsu.edu/cranefly/index.htm

However, did you get it to pose for you like that?

Erik

Modi'in, Israel

Rich, this is one instance when I think you got too good a shot....nobody ever sees these guys as close up as this LOL. Maybe get a worse shot and someone can ID it for you ;-)

-Julie

How about this?

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

How's this? America's top insect model. A pretty girl is like a melody.....

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Modi'in, Israel

Rich, that guy or gal has too many eyes. Looks like little glass beads in that second pic. Oh I know....It's a funky modern tiara ROTFL! She certainly poses well....she may actually have a shot at the next Americas Top Model ;-)

-Julie

Erik you are right this is the Crane fly. Pointed snout.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Your mystery fly is an Ichneumonid Wasp...commonly called a parasitic wasp. There are hundreds of species from nearly microscopic to 6". All lay their eggs onto the bodies of other insects (often caterpillars or sawfly larvae). The wasp larvae then eat the caterpillar alive! They are, in the big scheme, a beneficial insect.

Cool! I thought its face looked more bee-like than fly.

Searching on the web, I think its Genus might be Netelia.

I haven't seen these in my backyard; but, I have a dark blue black wasp which digs shallow tunnels. It stings caterpillars and slugs and flies them back home, presumably to be consumed by its young. Sometimes I watch them hunting or see them carrying big caterpillars or slugs twice their size back to their burrows.

Ah, nature.

Erik

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Yuck. "Whoever" it is, it's ugly! Hate bugs........

MKJ

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I usually have a high tolerance to bugs and bug behavior (even considered becoming an entomologist) but I watched a very graphic TV show on ichneumonid wasps and it was very hard to watch!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

well, she certainly is a real beauty...

Funnily, a Crane Fly of some sort landed on my windshield while I was parking my car on the way to work this AM.

Thumbnail by eje
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I've been waiting for someone to say it looks like their "EX"!!!!

Modi'in, Israel

GREAT SHOT Erik! I love the double image :-)

-Julie

Olympia, WA

Out west in the USA - we have a wasp of similar name who lays its eggs on bodies of tent caterpillars. You can see a light spot on the back of any infected caterpillars. It is a joyful thing to see those spots, for the tent caterpillars are beyond tolerable when it comes to garden pests. In 1987 - all our deciduous trees - yards and woods - were denuded by the caterpillars. Therefore, wasp spots are welcomed.

grins

Vicki

A true ALIEN .

>A true ALIEN .

LOL.

Nature, stranger than Science Fiction.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Just gonna add my two cents in here.....you folks in Calif have some real scarey looking bugs flying around....

Deann

>you folks in Calif have some real scarey looking bugs

If you took a similar close-up of a midwestern June Bug or Barn Spider, it would be just as scary.

;-)

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Now folks let's be nice now. No stones. Especially since I have those bugs here, too!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

eje.......I am sure your are right about the June bug...now that is one ugly bug that flys around here....and I hate the sounds they make too.....as far as a barn spider, can't say I ever sew one, unless your talking about Daddy Long Legs....

Deann

Oh no, I'm not trying to be mean or anti-midwestern.

It's just I'm originally from Wisconsin, and know there are plenty of "ugly" bugs there, too! My wife hates June Bugs.

I really like monterey's photos and thank him for giving us a glimpse of things we don't normally see. Or at least, don't normally take the time to see.

He really inspires me to take another look at the insects and other small animals I see every day.

Erik

This is a wolf spider . He is small enough to fit on a dime.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh come on! Do you have to do these really close ups of bugs? EW!!!!!!!

We are all GOD's creatures. We all play our part. The spider keeps the flies down and I do his photo work. Bye bye Crane fly!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Olympia, WA

I love the photo - as well as the attitude!!!!!!!

It kind of tips some folks over if you remind them that in the end the "bugs" will win ("bugs" used this way includes bacteria, viruses, and fungi) - but that IS the way it is. In the meantime, we do best to enjoy all the gifts presented to us - which includes this opportunity to enjoy the hairy essence of a wolf spider!

Thanks, Monterey!

grins

Vicki

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

All I can say is I hope it is not big!

Blenheim, New Zealand

Mr Pinus radiata I do like seeing your bugs . my camera does not take pics as close as yours , but this spider is having it's dinner as well

Thumbnail by bootandall
Olympia, WA

Great photo - Bootandall - love the name! The photo reminds me of the bio lesson on how spiders eat - you have captured the act of probable injection of digestive enzymes through hollow mouth parts - reducing central body contents of prey to soup.....which is then sucked up through the mouth parts of spider which act like straws. yummmy??? well - to the spider, it surely must be! .......... and for anyone who has suffered a spider bite, the same thing applies. Spider was attempting to turn YOU into soup which it could suck through the straw!

This is the top of the straw. This guy appeared last night. Now there are two wolves on the block. It goes on.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Maybe there will be some pups!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.