Variegated Impatien 'Fiesta Ole Peppermint'

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I know it is too early to plant this but there were only 16 of these available at Lowe's. The girl was not sure if they would be getting any more.

Anyway, I probably won't be planting this for another 6 weeks.LOL I would like to get more plants since this cost me $4. I have only planted impatiens one time and that was late in the season of last year.

I plan to keep it on the enclosed front porch and bring it in at night. It will get plenty of sunlight.

Any suggestions for propagating these and any additional care would be helpful.

Here is a picture of one these gems. The color is very similar. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/64407/index.html

Thanks,
Linda

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

When I lived up north I grew them from seed one time. As I remember the seed was microscopic. I might have them in seed tape by now. I have them now in FL which I plant in November for they are about gone in May, 1st of June because of the heat. They are fussy buggers, they don't like heat, cold, lots of sun, or to be thirsty; worse than a baby!! Good luck.

Nancy Lee

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Linda, I'd pot it up in a 6" pot and as it gets bigger take cuttings and root those. I have impatients I planted 9 yrs ago from this method.
I save the pots and trays from nurseries fill them with fresh potting soil.
I cut, dip in rooting hormone and plant. I usually do this and put the tray under a bigger bush or plant. 2 weeks and they are good to go.
I had a "Mama" plant that was 4'tall before I let the frost get the top.
sidney

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, i will repot and then do cuttings. I have noticed that I have to keep it well watered and misted.
I am going to try this method on some of them: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/461791/

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

That looks neat too, let me know how they do. I think I'll watch for this foam at the Yard sales this week-end.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sugarweed,

Can you keep them all summer or do you bring them in? You said some are 9...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.