Question about marigolds for pest control...

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi, I'm a newbie here, and am working with a new garden plot, just dug up in the fall. I'm ordering some heirloom French marigolds from Southern Exposure -- they're called Tashkent 1 -- and the catalog description says they have a sweet rather than bitter sort of fragrance. Does anyone know whether this variety will be less effective against whiteflies and other pests as a result of the better smell? Anyone grow Tashkent marigolds w/ the veggies? Thanks.

Cowichan Valley, BC(Zone 8b)

zeppy,
I figured someone more knowledgeable would reply, but since no one has, here's my 2 cents worth.

are the tashkent marigolds tagetes? These are the types that I plant with the vegetables (especially tomatoes, but also beans and generally all around the vege beds). I can't say for sure that they make a difference, but I have never (knock on wood!) had any major tomato pest problem.

I have seen advice that says it's the french varieties (which are tagetes) and the african varieties (which are ______?) that are useful for nematode control and repelling aphids. Most sources do mention the distinctive bitter scent, implying that it is necessary for effectiveness. But I don't know for sure if it is.

as I said - hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply too!

zeppy, of course as soon as I posted I saw that you said they *are* french marigolds. So then the key question is whether the lack of "bitter" scent makes them ineffective for pest control. -- which is exactly what you asked isn't it (sigh). Well, let's really hope someone else replies!

marigolds are so lovely (if you like them at all) - why not get another variety as well, one that has the bitter scent, and intermix them for insurance?

what garden wouldn't be better off for having some Jolly Jesters http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=1082&variation=&aitem=2&mitem=6 , for example.

Oh, goodness, those are lovely. Hmmm, more marigolds. :) My "vegetable" garden seems to be morphing into a flower garden.

Yes, the tashkent are tagetes. Here's what SESE says: "a sweet marigold fragrance. It lacks the common astringent odor of other marigolds." I'm tempted to make an experiment of this, but I don't really have good testing conditions to see which flower does the job better.

Hope this link works: http://www.southernexposure.com/productlist/prods/01142.html
Aren't they purty?

Thanks, paani!

zeppy,
hi - well there's always edible flowers - best of both worlds? but you'll at least want some greens to go with them. :-)
nasturtiums are good too (and edible). They help to reduce aphids if planted near broccoli, potatoes, readish, cucurbits and cabbage family. They're also said to help a bit with squash bugs -- but I don't think anything helps with squash bugs, except squashing them.

I had searched out your tashkent marigolds, and found them at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange (glad to know about it!) via a community garden in minnesota.
It seems they're pretty rare - SESE may be the only source in this country.

anyway, I wrote to them and asked The Question. If they answer, I'll post here.

there's a wonderful book called Carrots Love Tomatoes, about companion planting. The author is Louise Riotte. You can sometimes find a cheap used copy - try abebooks.com to search lots of used book stores at once. Just as importantly, it tells you about what *not* to plant side by side.

good luck with your garden!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Zeppy,

This issue was discussed in another forum, here's the link.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/486297/

By the way, welcome to Dave's Garden!

Thanks, Big_Red: I did check out this thread before posting, but wondered if anyone used the rare Tashkent variety... guess I'll be trying them out on my own. If I get anything to grow, that is. :)

Paani -- I got Carrots Love Tomatoes from the library last week! I'm planting nasturtiums and borage and yarrow and some other stuff for beneficials; hope they come up, and hope they help. Thanks for the advice! Love abebooks too...

zeppy,

the people from SESE wrote back. here's what they said:

"we have only grown the Tashkents on their
own for the beautiful flowers. They grew quite well and insect-free
themselves, though, so that might count as evidence that they have
some of the desired effect."

In other words, they don't know either, but they sure must be pretty flowers! It seems to me that it's best to assume that the Tashkents will *not* have any insect-repelling effect that is due to the "bitter" scent. As I understand it, the reputed power of marigolds to keep aphids away is due to the scent (others, please correct if wrong about this). But tagetes are also said to reduce nematode populations (unwanted type of nematodes that is). *If* they have such a quality, it's not due to scent, so maybe Tashkents would do this job as well as any other. (Though I do remember someone saying that to have an effect on nematodes you'd have to sow marigolds like a crop and then plow them under).
Either way, you'd probably be best off to add a second variety to your garden too. I've got a couple of kinds of marigold seed. Want to trade a few Tashkents?! If so, send me a mail.

Well, paani, I guess a lot of people liked the Tashkent, because it was the only part of my SESE order that didn't come: they've got it on backorder. As it was, they only allowed one packet per customer. So I'd be happy to share some if I had 'em (and you know I'll try to save their seeds, if they're this hard to get)! I've already ordered another tagetes, so I'm good there. Thanks!

Chazy, NY

Zeppy
I would grow your Tashkent for thier visual appeal but if you are really looking for pest repellant Marigolds go with the old fashioned kind. There is a certain type that boasts it repells nemetodes but honestly I have found the plain Jane, cheap as they come at the nursery Marigolds, do the trick. Not only do they repell Nemetodes but they seem to repel slugs as well. I tested this myself with Lettuce ( a virtual slug buffet) by surrounding the crop about every two feet with Marigolds and the lettuce crop was untouched!
We live by a lake and litterally have the slugs and bugs invading the garden like a big buggy, slimy wave. The more I talke to "ole timers" no offense intended, the more I hear about planting Marigolds for pest control, nothing fancy just good old fashion smelly marigolds. Try it, they really do work.

Thanks, sisnow, I'll do it. I had no idea they could help with slugs, too! (Sounds like some garden ducks would be happy at your place; ever read Eliot Coleman's "Four Season Harvest?" They use ducks for fertilizer, eggs, and slug control.)

Off I go to get some marigold seeds!

Chazy, NY

We have toyed with the idea of getting ducks or Guinee(spelling /) hens as they are supposed to eat thier weight in mosquitoes which we also have an infestation of. Unfortunately we also have plenty of fox and coy dog in our area that would think the fowl were put there for thier benefit. Good luck with your marigolds, I start mine in a few weeks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.