I just bought batik... Need Help

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

The back says plant the rhizome 3" beneath the soil,that can't be right is it?
If so I didn't plant any of my other iris like that.They are still alive.Help
Thanks,Jody

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Bearded irises should be planted no deeper than 1/2", though most folks plant them with the tops of the rzs level with the soil surface.

Laurie

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks thought they were wrong.Jody

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is silly. Why on earth would a supplier want their rhizomes to rot - which is probably what they will do if you plant them 3" deep. Good for you that you planted all the others properly. If you have the energy, you might even send the grower a note and help others avoid this problem. Batik has become a favorite and I think that a lot of newcomers to Iris are buying it. We don't want them to have problems and get discouraged.

Good Catch!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

They want them to rot so we will buy another batch from them next year.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, there is hope where there's a fool born every minute (LOL). If you don't mind my asking, how much are the Iris in the nurserys?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Iris in local nurseries in Iowa? When they finally arrive, they will offer purple & yellow Tall beardeds and maybe a varigated for $8.00 per root.

As to planting instructions on Walmart packages? I think they throw a bunch in the air & attach the one that lands face up. No rhyme or reason.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

OUCH!!!!!!!!

Superstition has some lovely ones for $3.00 to $5.00. You have to get their catalog but their photos are great. Be careful, without the catalog, you might find yourself falling in love with some more pricey cultivars. But go ahead and look anyway.

http://community.webshots.com/user/rickt103

Their email is: randrcv@sierratel.com and I think that the catalog is a whopping $1.50 - no photos. If you want the address I'll send it to you. Just ask. Try the photos, you'll like them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.