Sandpaper vine starting to bloom

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

I have this vine growing behind the garage where it is nice and hot--just above the stack of firewood. It's starting to put on new growth and flushing with flowers and bracts.

-Ron-

Thumbnail by RWhiz
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

It's beautiful. This is one I need to add to my want list.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Ron your Sandpaper is beautiful! I think I got seeds for it to start.
:) Donna

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

That's a real beauty, Ron. Kay sent me a rooted cutting of this one, and I can't wait for it to grow and bloom. I'd like the find the white form as well.

Clare, this one has been in the ground for only about a year exactly, but it has put on vigorous growth. I had tried another one about five years ago down on the hillside, but it didn't make it. This time, I did a little more reading up. I have it next to the garage planted in a little strip. There is concrete driveway next to it. It gets a lot of summer heat and whatever collected heat in the winter, if it's a sunny day. Also, last summer, I gave it a lot of water and feeding. Although I've read it likes heat and is drought tolerant, I wanted it to put down substantial roots the first year. I think it has paid off. Besides the blooming, it is putting out a lot of substantial new growth. I've read where these plants can get 40 feet or so.

By the way, I've met a gentleman on Spectre's site who periodically offers seed of different things. He's also got access to a mature tree version of Petrea (aspera?). He's promised to send me some seed. The photos he posted were stupendous. I'll ask if anyone has access to seed of the white Petrea.

-Ron-

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

oh how pretty. i love purple. adding to my want list.

okay i am gonna ask why its called sandpaper vine?? is it rough or something??

Thanks, Ron! That would be great! You know, I have my little Petrea in a one-gallon container in the portable greenhouse this winter. I actually tried it twice before and lost both when winter came. I had heard that Petrea was supposed to be tolerant of colder temperatures, but my small ones sure weren't. You are right to keep yours somewhat sheltered and warm. I'm going to grow mine in a container for a couple of years at least. That color is just stunning. I've seen pictures of Petrea climbing a house, and it was magnificent. It looked like wisteria from a distance.

Imzadi, Yes, the leaves are very rough! LOL!

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I would like to know where to order some seeds or a rooted plant. That is a very beautiful vine.

Ron, check out the size of this Petrea: http://almostedenplants.com/mall/Queenswreath.asp

Busybee, Almost Eden Nursery has it at the link above.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks a bunch Clare.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Aww, I can't have one! I have no greenhouse and no sheltered place for it. I'm so bummed out! :-((

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Stacey-
Just do like the northerners do with their roses! Circle some chicken wire around the base, and fill it with leaves!
I have one and am 8a, but I do REALLY protect it...

Sure wish mine bloomed like Rons!, though! lol...mine has been stingy, but isn't very old. I just sunk it in the ground this past fall, from a one gallon pot, so hope it grew roots through the winter. It has some little sprouts right now, so hope it blooms better this year.

They are just amazing in bloom, and even when the blooms drop off, the bracts stay on, and continue to look like flowers. I just had a tree removed this month, that was blocking some of the sun it received. I am hoping it can really bake now, lol...and hopefully start to look like Rons...

Good job Ron!
What are you FEEDING it, lol?
-T

I'm feeding it the left over coffee.

-Ron-

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

hm...I didn't know it liked it a bit on the acidic side...do you have really alkaline soil?
-T

I enjoyed the view, Ron...thanks for the picture of this fabulous plant. How do you propagate it?

Joseph

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

So why is it called 'Sandpaper vine'?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

RWhiz. sure is a pretty vine wish it were hardy. Donna

Mark, the leaves are rough.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Got it! Thanks Clare :-)

sandpaper vine sounds better than 5:00 shadow vine I guess LOL!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

A member here sent me some seed of hers. I hope it can be wintered over in the house. I'd love to see one bloom.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Your plant is gorgeous! Now I know why it is seen on so many "want" lists. Barb

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Ron,
may I be so bold and ask what is Spectre's site? Is it a gardening site?

Thanks, Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

Spectre use to be a member of Stalag GW (that's his name for it). He got so irritated with the site police that he decided to start his own gardening site. It's mostly focused on tropicals, but not strictly. A lot of extremely knowledgeable ex-GWers followed him, inlcuding me.

Here is a link: http://spectresjungle.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php

-Ron-

This is the tree Petrea I was talking about. Petrea glandulosa:

http://spectresjungle.com/v-web/coppermine1.3.0//albums/userpics/10032/AUT_6130.JPG

-Ron-

Wow, Ron. That petrea is outstanding! Please let me know if you are able to find some seeds for it. Thanks!

Mc Call Creek, MS

I've had one for about 5 or 6 years in a pot...probably 8 gallon. It blooms mid-January every year in the house in a sunny window. I have another that I planted from seed about 15 years ago. I kept seeing this plant come up by my back deck every spring. It just grew tall and skinny, but never bloomed. We finally moved, and when we moved here, after that plant being in the ground all those years, I put it in a pot. It is tall and skinny and stiff, and bloomed about 5 or 6 times last summer. Here it is. Oh, incidentally, the pot I put it in is no more than 3 gallons. I put it down inside a concrete pot to keep it upright. I learned this summer that the seeds form in the center of the blooms. The blooms dry out and turn a light green, then light brown. Soon, one day when the wind is blowing, the petals whirl off, carrying the little seed to its destination like a tiny helicopter. God was some wonderful designer!

Kay

Thumbnail by TrixieM
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Beautiful blooms. Kay.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Kay so I am not supposed to put this one in the ground here??? I can keep it in a pot .

Mc Call Creek, MS

Donna, I'd keep it in a pot. Mine acted like a die-back plant in Lacombe in the ground, but it never bloomed until I put it in a pot in the greenhouse here.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I will Kay because I really want to see her bloom. Just need to up to a 5 gal instead of the little pot she is in. Full sun or part??

Kay, those blooms are extraordinary! I'm so glad you sent me this one. I'm also so glad to hear that Petrea can be happy in a container for many years!

Mc Call Creek, MS

Full sun, Donna.

Clare, I sure hope this one does well for you.

Since both of yours are small, you might need to have patience for them to bloom. My crazy experience with them did not tell me anything about how long they take to bloom when they are small.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

So pretty Kay. Now if I can just get the seed to grow.

Kay, I can be patient waiting for blooms as pretty as that.

Shirley, did you get seeds to germinate? I couldn't get mine to germinate for me. I think they need a lot of heat to germinate and come up.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I read in a reference book that it does not go to seed in our climate. Is that true?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.